1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Accident on the Bay Bridge in Maryland

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by blueview, Aug 10, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The only thing bad about it is the traffic. But that's to be expected.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Heard on the news tonight some teenager in a Camero swerved in front of the truck and hit it, starting the whole series. First off, at 4am there isn't anyone on that bridge that necessitates you driving like such an ass. Second, you do have to be fucking careful when you're driving on it. But to say it's scarey or a danger is nonsense. It's a beautiful bridge.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Headbutt, I'm scared of bridges, and that one terrifies me, esp. at night.

4. Flying Headbutt

You're not the only one who has ever been scared of bridges. I'm definitely not among them, and so I'll admit I have a hard time comprehending why someone would be scared shitless by it, though clearly it's not like driving any other road. You have to be paying attention, and then hoping everyone around you is too.

I like driving it more at night because there are far fewer people on it. It really is one of my favorite drives ever. But you have to enter it full of respect.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Try the Sunshine Skyway from St. Pete to Bradenton as a warmup.
    Drove over it in March on a pretty windy day (30-40 mph). There were cops at both sides of the bridge ready to close it if the wind hit 45.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Lesson one: To better position yourself for the civil lawsuit, do not tell the newspaper you fell asleep at the wheel.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/11/AR2008081100422.html?hpid=topnews

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The hotshots come out in the wee hours to drag race and cause trouble, and bridges are attractive for whatever reason. I hated driving the bridges between Tampa and St. Pete late after work because there would always be souped-up rides blowing by me at 120 mph.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

That is the scariest bridge to drive across, especially at night.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

See Headbutt! I'm not the only one :)

10. pallister

pallister Guest

My sister is deathly afraid of bridges, as are a couple other people I know. But they're fine with flying. I, on the other hand, enjoy a nice, big bridge but I hate flying. The Skyway is cool, but it can be a bit intimidating when it's really windy.

11. cortez

cortez Member

The driver of the Camaro said she fell asleep at the wheel

12. Flying Headbutt

Shoot it took my mom about 20 years to be able to drive over it. I can understand the concern. I just trust myself behind the wheel that's all. It is a little less fun when they have two-way traffic on the spans, as they did the night of this wreck. And it's still a beautiful drive.

Draft saved Draft deleted