1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Accident in the snow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 2, 2009.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Technically, they can cite you for that every single time you're involved in a weather-related accident, and the "guess you shoulda gone 10 instead" line will hold up in court.

Takes a real d-bag of an officer to actually use it, though, unless it's on someone who spins out because they're stomping on the gas like the roads are bare and dry. Babar, sounds like you were unlucky enough to get one of those guys.

Glad you're OK, taters.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This might actually turn out OK.
    The appraiser called today, said there was $2,300 damage and the car is worth $4,000. Not totaled.
    He wanted me to get it out of where it was so I wouldn't get charged storage fees and wanted to know which shop I was going to. I didn't really know which shop I was going to use.
    I called the guy who has my car to make arrangements to get it out of there and he said he'd fix it and he'd get going on it right away.
    If I seemed kind of pessimistic about this, it's mostly because of my past experienced, which have not ended well.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Make certain the guy who's going to fix it "right away" does the repairs for $2,300, is able to do them correctly and will stand behind his work.

Otherwise, it could be like your past experiences... and that would be bad.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I received a notice of an insurance surcharge today.
    "In a single-car accident the driver is assumed to be more than 50 percent at fault," it said.
    I plan on appealing.
    Given the weather and road conditions at the time and the fact that the police officer did not cite me, do I have a leg to stand on?

Draft saved Draft deleted