1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Accident in the snow

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I was driving home from work tonight and it had already started snowing. It was bad, but I've driven in worse.
    About a mile from work, on a state highway, I hit a slippery spot on the unplowed road and started to skid. I tried to keep the car as straight as possible and control it, but soon it was obvious I was either going to hit a tree on my right or the guardrail on my left.
    I hit the tree, which was on a grassy area in front of a hospital parking lot. The tree got the worst of it (and if the parking lot lamp behind the tree was working before the crash, it isn't now).
    There was some damage to the left front quarter and the driver's side headlight was knocked out. One of the rear tires was flat and the rim was bent. The airbag was not deployed and I was wearing a seatbelt. I was not hurt except for maybe a little pain in my left trap.
    I don't think I was going too fast because some papers that I left in the passenger's seat were still in place.
    I called 911 and a state trooper stopped by and called a tow truck. He said he wouldn't cite me because of the weather. Three cars stopped to check on me before the trooper arrived.
    The tow truck driver was a guy whom I knew. He had a son who was a stock car racer on a regional circuit and I wrote a story about him four or five years ago. He dropped me off at a gas station near his shop. I was going to call home for a ride, but a guy who was there who used to work for the guy offered to give me a ride home and I took him up on it. I gave him $30 for his troubles (I didn't have much more cash on me). I guess that's Karma paying me back for giving the junkie/surgical nurse a ride a month ago.
    I'm glad I'm OK and I'm sure in the long run everything will work out fine. The tow truck driver doesn't think it's totalled (he owns a body shop). I only have three more payments to make on it, so I don't think I'll make out too bad whether it's totalled or not. I also have gap insurance.
    This does mess up things for a while in the short term. It's state tournament season and I'm looking at at least a few weeks without a car. I'm not going to be able to get out and cover anything. Getting to the gym will be a challenge. My insurance doesn't cover rental.
    I'm a little concerned about a surcharge and wondering if there's any way I could avoid it. I'd hate to have to pay for it for the next seven years but if I have to I have to.
    I guess it could have been worse. In a way I'm lucky but in a way I'm not. I'm OK, but financially I'm going to take a hit and the next few weeks will be difficult.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, sp. You're OK (but pay attention to how you feel tomorrow -- muscles have a way of really tightening up overnight) and the car's not totaled. It might be a little while before you get it back (and if you get the wheel and headlight fixed quickly you may be able put off other repairs for a while and get it back more quickly) but for now I'd say look at how much worse it could be.

I'd guess we don't live close since it didn't snow by me, otherwise you could borrow my car.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

damn. first off i'm happy you are ok. secondly, is there anyway you can do everything over the phone the next couple weeks?

4. Smallpotatoes

Seeing as how they're state tournament games, it would be best if I didn't, but if that's what I have to do, that's what I'll have to do.

5. Smallpotatoes

Thank you.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

SP: Glad you're OK, sir.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

SP....I'm glad to hear you're ok, I wish I could say the same about the accident I drove upon yesterday in CT.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1155668

The accident couldn't have happened more than 20 seconds before I got there......I still can't get the image of the truck and woman laying on the road.

8. Smallpotatoes

I'm a little worried about what might happen with my job. Without a car, even for a short period of time, it will affect my ability to do my job. In this day and age I'd hate to give them any excuse.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Can't your body guy give you a loaner while your car is getting fixed?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm glad you are OK.

Why not just buy a new car if the other is close to a total? They are basically giving new cars away right now.

Also, wouldn't the milage you get from driving to and from all the tourney games cover the cost of the rental?

11. Smallpotatoes

My insurance doesn't have rental coverage. I'll ask the body shop guy about a loaner, if available
    An appraiser will look at it tomorrow.
    My milage check for the last month might last me a week with a rental.
    I've thought about a Zip Car for the weekend games.
    Anodybody know anything about them?

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Glad you're okay. Scary situation there. Never used Zipcar, but it seems to be a neat little service.

Draft saved Draft deleted