1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Access "just for the beat guys"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheMethod, Dec 3, 2007.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Do your teams ever grant media access to beat guys only? The school I cover does this fairly often, and I'm wondering if I should think good thoughts about my SID or if this is fairly common practice.

The beat guys on my beat are sometimes invited to get interviews before and after practices, invites that are only given to the beats from the local papers, excluding TV, radio and Web sites.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

TheMeth,

I'd say it's pretty unusual for schools to set up routine, invitation-only access and invite all the daily newspaper beat guys. Why go through that headache when you can do one-size-fits-all access?

HOWEVER, some beat guys have a habit of making pests of themselves and may just show up at practice or at the coach's office or wherever and get access that their less forward (or less likeable) compatriots may not.

And also, the daily beat guys may be pushing because they need more access and the SID is obliging, so it may be more of a squeaky wheel thing and less of an preferred status arrangement.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

How often do you cover this team? How big is your paper? Are you a student reporter?

If you're only there sporadically, don't be surprised you're not receiving the same attention the regular beat guys are.

Just saying that probably has something to do with it.

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

You guys are missing the point. See, I'm one of the beat guys getting invited to these things. I'm not complaining at all. It's awesome. Like I said, I'm wondering if I should be singing the praises of my SID or if this is somewhat common.

I think the reason they do it is that they're aware enough that beat writers simply have to produce more than anybody else does, and the fact that there are only 4-5 of us means it's relatively easy to get it assembled and get it done without much hassle. Plus, since we're print reporters, we have no lighting or sound requests. And since we're newspaper guys, we don't ask stupid questions.

I understand why it's done, and I'm thankful. Sounds like not every beat has this luxury.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Uh ..... yeah. Don't get too used to it.

6. Norman Stansfield

Aha. I need to work on my reading comprehension.

I cover a top-15 college hoops team and the setup here is much the same way. But the preferential treatment, if you want to call it that, is the coach's call -- not the SID's. I'm sure that's the case anywhere else this happens, too.

As Ace said, don't get used to it or take it for granted. But give whomever is responsible for it some silent kudos for 'getting it'.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Happened to me this year in college football.

Conference semifinal. The team I cover was a very suprising participant.

Game is over, coach comes out of the locker room and walks directly over to me and says to the rest of the scrum, which was of decent size, "I'm talking to Pete first guys. Then I'll answer your questions."

First and only time it's happened to me in any sport. I appreciated it - until the other sharks started skimming the answers. And rightly so, I might add! I'd have done the same thing if I were them.

Still, like I said, I appreciated the gesture.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I would think if you'd like it to continue, it might be an idea to offer actual kudos, rather than silent ones. Don't let them know it's an unusual setup, of course, but offer the occasional "thanks for the time" or "thanks for setting this up" to whoever deserves it.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Myself and the guys on my beat used to get an hour-or-so sitdown with the head coach about a week before the big rivalry game, but that changed when a new coach was hired. Not sure how widespread the practice is ...

10. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I know some beat guys who covered Bob Huggins. He'd drink with them on the road.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Bob Huggins would drink with Wino Bob on the corner of Sixth and Main.

12. Norman Stansfield

Must've been back during his Akron days or something because the beat guys I know Huggs would've just as soon shot before going out for beers with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted