1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ACC Tourney, a young writer, impressions of sports media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by franticscribe, Mar 13, 2011.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

This BLOG! post has shown up a bunch of times in my Facebook news feed in the last 12 hours and I thought it might be of interest to some folks here.

A journalism student with a fairly well trafficked Duke fan BLOG! was covering the ACC tournament this weekend for a school news outlet. After a little run-in on press row with a radio man, he wrote up a post about the experience. Mixed in with some of the not-so-surprising naivete of someone experiencing an event like that for the first time is what I think an interesting critique of sports journalism.

I'll admit I'm a little reluctant to post this since I recognize the "release the hounds" element to it. But, I also found the story an interesting read and thought some of the critiques were worth discussing. If a mod wants to nuke it, I won't be offended.
  2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

So, let me get this straight: Older guy who has occasion to cover the school he attended is sitting next to younger guy who has occasion to cover the rival school he attended (one of two schools he attended that are members of the conference whose tournament he's covering), and there are problems?

NO WAY!
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He certainly has the douchiness and air of superiority befitting a Duke alum.
  4. He's a talented writer, and I'm inclined to be much gentler on him because he's young and this is all probably new and exciting to him.

But writing about how you gave a middle finger to another credentialed media member doesn't exactly help the cause.

He acknowledges later on that he has no interest in pursuing a "mainstream" media career so criticism of his thoughts or behavior are unlikely to have much impact.
  5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Another example of why so many despise Duke and everything it stands for. What a collection of entitled a-holes.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Of course not, all the kids these days want to be Bill Simmons or AJ Daulerio.

Now ... GET OFF MY LAWN!
  7. Johnny Dangerously

The blog posts touches on, as the original poster suggested, some points worth discussing here. I'm betting a few would hit too close to home for some of us to be able to talk objectively about them. The world has changed, and anyone still in the business is a fool if he or she can't continue to ask questions about the best way to do the job in a changed and changing world. Different sides have much to learn from each other, but not when they can't really hear each other. Entrenched in their positions, unwilling to yield, there's no more objectivity on either side when something like this happens.

I suspect a defense from either of these guys at this point would be met, appropriately, by the expression "What you are doing speaks so loudly, I can't hear what you're saying."
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

JD, I really don't know how you can put five cents' worth of credibility into this guy's account of the events as they transpired. He just knew the radio guy meant more than he said by the tone and the look? So his counter was the stealth bird-flip? Seriously? And the larger media criticisms he lodges are just a rehash of what Simmons has been writing for 15 years. I'm sure he arrived at the building with those feelings instead of forming them by observation.
  9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, I'm kind of sick of the "bitter old sports writer" rants, and not because I'm old.

This came from the NASCAR kid, too: That it might be OK to cheer on press row or in the press box, because to not do so, or to have problems with those who do, reveals you as a grumpy person who is incapable of loving life anymore. And this will be as much a pile of crap in 50 years as it is now.

On press row, you're doing a job. You don't participate in the event. How hard is that?

If for some reason we get to a place where this ISN'T true, then the business is worse off, not better.

Of course, this is a grumpy view of things.
  10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Grumpy does not necessarily mean wrong.

I love life, too, but I'm not gonna fistbump the dudes on the team I cover after a big win. Cover the game, go to the bar, come back the next day.

You're right. It isn't that hard.
  11. Johnny Dangerously

All good points. Perhaps I gave him more credit than I should have. But he went to Duke. Can you blame me? Those guys are smart!
  12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Just read a portion of the blog. The guy tells the story well.

From what I read, it sounds like everyone involved was at fault. And the blogger could have gained the upper hand if he had brought some clever comebacks to the table. When the guy showed him his class ring, he should have said, "Who'd you buy that from?"

You can't go into a gunfight with a peashooter and then come out whining.
Draft saved Draft deleted