1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ACC title game moving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Dec 13, 2007.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

No surprise here.

What is surprising? It's moving to TAMPA. Because one Florida city worked so well, it's clearly logical to move it to another Florida city that is even further from 11 of the 12 schools in the conference.

Apparently it's because there's a convention in Charlotte in 2008 on the same weekend. It'll be Tampa in 08 and 09, then Charlotte the next two years. I'm sure for the 2010 game, it'll be 21 degrees and they'll have an ice storm.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=txaccchampionship&prov=st&type=lgns

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

But the NASCAR Hall of Fame will be open.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do you take your first four left turns off of the interstate to get there?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

99% of the audience watches it on television, so it doesn't matter where it's played.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yeah, fuck the ticket-buying public.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I never understood holding this game anywhere outside the Carolinas.

Hell, they should play it in Columbia, at USC, before they play it again in Florida.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Pretty much. You haven't figured that out by now?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Part of the reason it's going to be in Tampa is because of the way the city embraced the ACC Basketball tournament earlier this year.

The committee really liked it, and so did a lot of the fans that came down for the week.

9. Jim Rockford

Jim Rockford Member

If they really want to mess with the ticket-buying public and want good weather, move it my way, say, to the Rose Bowl, just to show up the Pac-10.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

By embrace, do you mean all those empty seats?

Those empty seats don't happen when the ACC Basketball Tournament is held in either Greensboro or Charlotte.

Part of John Swofford's thinking was that the weather is better down in Florida. The part he doesn't tell you is his little expansion was supposed to be all about Florida State and Miami, how they were supposed to contend for the ACC title annually (and occasionally for the national title) and how this wonderful cash cow football title game would fatten the conference's slush fund.

Then Wake Forest became good (thank you in more than one way, Jim Grobe) and messed everything up. The Deacons and Georgia Tech played last year's title game in Jacksonville in front of thousands and thousands of empty seats. Attendance wasn't that much better for the Boston College-Virginia Tech matchup a couple of weeks ago.

Guess that projected Florida State-Miami domination fell flat on its face, eh Mr. Swofford?

Charlotte's weather won't likely be better than Jacksonville or Tampa. But it also gives the league a better chance of not hosting a game in an empty stadium, even if neither game participant is from North Carolina.

This should have been done from the start, but I suspect Swofford's arrogance was the reason this disaster has only now been corrected. Yes, the title game should likely be moved to different places but starting it in Florida has been a financial disaster.

Repeat after me, Mr. Swofford: The Atlantic Coast Conference is a basketball league. Write it on the chalkboard/greaseboard 50 or more times for reinforcement.

Rant over. Thank you for the soapbox.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well, if you gotta pick cities in Florida as destinations, Jacksonville would be last on the list except for the fourth weekend in October, but then the stadium is occupied that weekend. I'd rate Tampa ahead of Jax. Little warmer and more to do, but really, this game has no business being in Florida whatsoever.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm betting the Mons Venus people are behind all of this

Draft saved Draft deleted