1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Academy Awards Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 25, 2008.

1. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Yeah, Diablo Cody was THE "It Girl" of this year's awards season, next to the star of her movie. I have no doubt that if she'd expressed interest in wearing a major designer, she'd have gotten her damn dress. As it was, she selected a frock that was terribly unflattering, because it was totally shapeless and a print that made her look washed-out.

Also, Mrs. Day-Lewis? Also goes by the name <a href=http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0589182/bio>Rebecca Miller</a>. As in, daughter of Arthur, occasional actress and screenwriter/director in her own right. And her dress was awful. You walk the red carpet, you are a target for the fashionistas.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a problem, Spnited. It's a partial explanation. Clearly, people have more opportunities to see movies, and it's kind of the nature of the beast; movies only have to be produced once while plays have to be produced anew every performance.

I don't think that's the entirety of the explanation. Price -- which is connected to availability -- is also a factor, but I still think on some level people's taste in entertainment has something to do with it.

3. If you accept the notion that it made any sense at all that "Tootsie" was passed over for fucking Gandhi in 1982, a year in which Hollywood flipped off two masterpieces of genres that Hollywood invented -- the romantic comedy (Tootsie) and fantasy (ET). And Jessica Lange won for the wrong damn movie.
    The Academy hates comedy. Which is part of the reason why young moviegoers today think Judd Apatow is Preston Sturges.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Judd Apatow ... I should know that name ... ;)

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The 40-Year-Old Virgin wasn't bad.

With a bit more tweaking, it could have been even better.

But by no means is it great.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They gave it to Ghandi because Ghandi is what the old farts like to think the business is all about, in their wet dreams.

Ghandi does not age well.

7. Nor dress well, IMHO.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

For a toga party, maybe.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It begs the question: which Best Picture winner has aged the worst? Or not necessarily aged the worst so much as not viewed in as favorable a light?

I think Gandhi is still OK, I'd have to research further for my answer, though Dances With Wolves and Forrest Gump jump immediately to mind.

10. Titanic.
    It had not aged well by the Oscar telecast that year.
    Cavalcade pretty much sucks, too.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If by aged badly, you mean you don't want to see them again, I am not sure that's a way to judge.

There are great movies I don't really feel compelled to see again (Schindler's List) and silly movies that I will watch every time (Animal House, Slap Shot).

Hell, I even watched 15 minutes of Caddyshack II the other day.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I won't watch the Oscars or any awards show.
    But box office has nothing to do with quality of work.

Draft saved Draft deleted