1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Academy Awards Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Everyone knew that was coming. Between the strike wiping out all the pre-Oscar hype and the fact that the nominees were a bunch of downer movies that weren't huge blockbusters, bad ratings were assured.
    Of course, this is all crap anyhow. Doesn't knock down the value of the award, or people's enjoyment of the event. And if a huge crowd pleasing blockbuster is up for a ton of awards next year (Like "Titanic" or "The Return of the King") the ratings will rebound.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Oscars actually recognize movies that are original, have tried-and-true classic qualities and great performances, and all some can do is bitch that they've never heard of the movies?

No wonder Hollywood turns out one shitburger after another. We get what we deserve.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

F_B: You're not the art-house wine sipper anymore. ;)

4. I'm fairly sure bubbler's drunk deply of the PBR at the Downer, too.

5. Bubbler

I drink Miller High Life and eat potato chips*, dammit! :D

Seriously, Shottie, if No Country For Old Men is considered art house (it was a nationwide release), I don't know what to say. The Coen Brothers have been making movies since the 80s, we're not talking about some avant-garde experimental film here. You can very easily go to Sears and do some shopping before going to see No Country For Old Men in your neighborhood mall theatre.

And who cares what a film grossed? First, many of the nominated movies are released in December, so the list is skewed to begin with. Second, I don't want commercial considerations factoring into judging how good a movie is. It should have no bearing. This year was refreshing in that commercial considerations seemed less important than ever, but it's not always that way. It's how something like Dances With Wolves beats out GoodFellas, a choice that looks more ridiculous as the year's drag on.

And yeah, if wanting to have a modicum of quality in my movies because me an elitist, than I'm an elitist. To go even further off Pretentious Cliff, I enjoy "film" as much as I enjoy "movies".

I'd rather slice my balls off than go see Alvin & The Chipmunks or many of the other formulaic bullshit mainstream Hollywood puts out. I get something intellectually out of watching something good like No Country For Old Men. I am dying for There Will Be Blood to finally get to my corner of BFE.

It doesn't mean I can't enjoy Superbad, Knocked Up, or the Harold & Kumar sequel (if it ever comes out) either, but I won't apologize for seeking quality in my entertainment. Just the way I am.

* My favorite are the Beer & Cheddar chips you can find in the gourmet section of your friendly neighborhood grocery aisle. But I'm not elitist!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

When the waiter asks if you want a glass with your beer, you probably say yes, you damn elitofacsist.

7. Bubbler

Glass? That's white trash. I want a carafe. Or at worst, a yard.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Official press release in response to Forever_town's reaction to the Academy Awards: "Meh."

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When did the Oscars become a newspaper?

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

C'mon, it's not like they've stopped giving out gold and replaced it with fake gold.

Lean Dean isn't running the Academy Awards. IS HE?

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, great. Now I'm being made out to be a -- gasp -- Sears shopper. ;)

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wild Hogs grossed $168 Million for 13th on the list? Are You Kidding Me?

And I don't understand why No Country didn't do better. It's not like people don't flock to movies about homicidal killers.

Draft saved Draft deleted