1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Academy Awards Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Feb 25, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Very good point.

You have to wonder, however, with the glut of multiplexes today, why some of these films can't secure a place out of 14, 16, 18 screens.

80 Breach Uni. $33,231,264 1,505 $10,504,990 1,489 2/16 4/12

In The Country Of Elah did not make the top 150, you art-house wine-sipper. :p

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Most of the movies nominated have a socio-economic target audience that eschews going to a movie theater and wait for the DVD or Blu-Ray to watch it on their large home TVs or home theaters.

If it wasn't for taking kids to the movies, I think I'd see about 1 movie a year in the thater

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Instead of watching the Oscars, I caught the Panthers-Rangers game last night. FSN-NY had New York Rangers assistant coach Mike Pelino mic'd. Throughout the game, he talked about the Academy Awards, asking a Rangers PR person to let him if No Country For Old Men won for best sound editing, since Pelino's son worked on the film.

I thought that was pretty cool.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, I can see that.

I still like the theater experience myself. I also find that those movies on which my wife and I say, "We'll wait until it comes out on DVD," we never seem to be in any real hurry to watch them when they come out on DVD.

5. That is cool, 'beat.
    He lost to Bourne, though.
    And shottie, as anyone who's been to the Downer Prestige Theater on Milwaukee's East Side will tell you, I'm an art-house beer guzzler, beeyotch.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Probably Blue Moon. ;)

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm with Shot.

It's all so corny but I enjoy the movie going experience (except for the rip-off admission charges and the larcenous concession stand prices). No distractions, no telephones and mercifully, in our neck of the woods, not too many ignorant people.

That said, HC have been slightly remiss in our movie going these days. Gotta catch up soon.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Daniel Day-Lewis if for no other reason than the way he got Arthur Miller (before he died) to finally recognize the existence of Miller's 40-year-old son who has Down syndrome. Miller had put the son in a home and never visited him or discussed him until Day-Lewis married Rebecca Miller. He took the initiative.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=509161&in_page_id=1773

Three months ago, it was revealed that Day-Lewis had persuaded the elderly Arthur Miller to agree to a reunion with the 40-year-old Down's syndrome son he had put into a home a week after the boy's birth.

Miller had kept the existence of the child, also called Daniel, a secret; but friends say Day-Lewis took to paying weekly visits to see the playwright's secret son.

9. PBR's, beeyotch.
    And that list is still chockfull of profitable Fail.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

DVDs boys and girls.

These movies will have DVD sales until the end of time, and they will slowly creep up this list.

11. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Five noms, one win. She SHOULD have won for the first Elizabeth film, but got beat out by skinny-minnie Gwynnie.

12. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Gee, what a surprise. Oscar ratings were horrible:

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/urn:newsml:tv.ap.org:20080225:eek:scars_tv_ratings__ER:64067;_ylt=ApZvVPvz8cO6PkzA9GWcTzT6o9EF

Draft saved Draft deleted