1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Academic authority Nick Saban takes potshot at South Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 3, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saban is committed to education. If the tide ranks in the top half of SEC GPAs he gets an extra $50 K, top quarter $100,000. The big money though, comes for a BCS bid.
    Top half of the SEC, he has to "beat" Mississippi, MSU, Arkansas, South Carolina, Kentucky and Georgia. That's the academic equivalent of Hawaii's football schedule.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Anyone know if he had a similar deal at LSU?

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I don't recall if he had something in his contract, but I know he did get them to build an Academic Building for Athletes in his second or third year. But I don't think he cared if it was functional or not, his main thing was that a building like that helped recruiting.

I would put it past Nick-o-lie to have an academic bonus in his contract simply so he can tell parents "Of course I care about your son's education, that's why I have an academic bonus built into my contract."

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

does that mean he will be qualified to be a tour guide at Disney for Pirates of the Caribbean?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

ROLLLLLL TIIIIDDDEEEE!!!

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hell, I spent about 30 minutes trying to dig up a link to SEC GPA rankings and didn't find much, except an article crediting Mike Shula with RAISING the team's GPA to 2.4

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The occasion was (Joe) Namath’s first meeting with New York sportswriters after he signed a lucrative contract with the fledgling AFL team, the New York Jets.... [T]he New York sports writers couldn’t pass up an opportunity to intimate that academic standards were lowered for athletes at Southern colleges, especially Namath’s alma mater, the University of Alabama. A sports writer asked: "Joe, is it true that you majored in basket-weaving at Alabama?" To which Namath responded: "No. Basket-weaving was too difficult for me. I had to major in journalism."

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Fixed.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Birmingham-Southern.

And Human Environmental Sciences is a traditional jock program in T-town.

Now that we have that out of the way, did anyone stop to think that Saban was answering a reporter's question, not just calling out South Florida for the hell of it?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not really. USF has beaten Auburn, something Saban is somewhat unlikely to do himself, and something he'll be raked over the coals for immediately if he doesn't. He's planting the seeds of the excuses he'll need to explain why South Florida could beat Auburn, and he can't.

Draft saved Draft deleted