1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Academic authority Nick Saban takes potshot at South Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 3, 2007.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Nick's already busting out the flak jacket I see

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Never really says what process, does it...

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

If I'm a head coach at any of the top SEC schools and my AD strolls in with a schedule that includes USF, we have a problem. Who in their right mind would schedule USF now?

You can call it "pussy assed" all you want, but to schedule the Bulls is stupid. If you win, nobody gives a damn. It's like beating New Mexico State. The problem is, there's a damn good chance you'll have your ass handed to you.

If you're a big-time program and you're scheduling a non-conference opponent that can beat you, that opponent should be a powerhouse. Otherwise, what's the point? That's the system that's in place in college football right now. Can't fault the schools for working within it.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Those games with Miami and Florida were scheduled a couple of seasons ago. USF is dropping UCF after next season. They wanted to step up to the big boys.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Just one problem: New Mexico State has never been ranked sixth. The SEC schools and Florida State can ignore them all they like, but they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

6. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

A great irony: Saban and Leavitt are actually pretty good friends. Seriously.

7. Make that "were" good friends.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

All the more reason to like the Bulls for me. I'm curious to see how they handle success. Can they run the table, or do they stumble against a team like Cincy, like Rutgers did a year ago?

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They stumbled at Cincinnati last season. I very much doubt they play as terrible a game as they did at home this season.

The stumbling block is Rutgers. Other than that, they get all the rest of their key games at home.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Isn't Saban making the same argument that the Big Ten's Jim Delany was making to criticize the SEC's academic standing just a year ago?

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Pretty sure you missed the point.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I just want to chime in that I'm really sad I spent the formative years of my life not hating Alabama.

I will make up for this posthaste.

Draft saved Draft deleted