1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Academic authority Nick Saban takes potshot at South Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

While reading this, I couldn't tell if it was Saban or a Saban-enabler of a columnist looking down his nose at South Florida.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

As an aside, has anyone seen the Alabama media guide this year? It's got a full-body shot of Saban, walking towards the camera, with an expression that would melt the lens. The headline reads: "The Process Begins."

If there had been media guides for countries during World War II, it would have made a perfect one for Germany.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Yes, Samford is the Harvard of Alabama.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Only things that would have been better:

"Bear who?"

or

"Bear is Dead. The Process Begins."

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yew caint sah Bear is dey-ud aroun hea

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Agreed Idaho. I can understand Saban or ANY coach trotting out that line, particularly in this case given S. Florida is close to Bama.

But the columnist? How did he write that without any typos while blowing Saban at the same time?

And I'm sorry, if you meet the NCAA's minimum standards there is no shame in attending college and playing sports.

What a fool. The columnist, not Saban.

Some national writer, just for fun, should go through the Bama media guide and see what type of majors are listed for the student-athletes.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I have this mental image of Nick Saban as the real-life incarnation of John Goodman in "Revenge of the Nerds."

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only if Saban's standing on a chair...

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

didn't alabama use to run commercials about how 'Bama had better academics than Harvard?
    It was based on admission to be post-grad professional programs like med school, number of national merit scholars and something else.
    I know it was 'Bama because they used to tag it with Capstone and that's 'Bama.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

South Florida says suck it ...

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/03/Sports/Bulls_react_to_Saban_.shtml

tip of the hat to the quad blog...

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Calls to mind the basket-weaving majors at different schools. At FSU it's criminal justice (feel free to insert your own irony there). Look at the majors in the Florida media guide, and most of the football players list sociology or anthropology. West Virginia is athletic coaching. Clemson seems to be sports management.

Any other interesting ones?

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've heard that during Lou Holtz's time at ND, it was American Studies.

Draft saved Draft deleted