1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Academic authority Nick Saban takes potshot at South Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/rmelick.ssf?/base/sports/1191313513257540.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

"The distribution of players is not the same for everybody," said Alabama head coach Nick Saban. "There's a significant amount of players who don't qualify (at some schools) and they end up being pretty good players at some other schools. I think there are six guys starting on South Florida's defense who probably could have gone to Florida or Florida State but Florida and Florida State couldn't take them. And if you do a good job of recruiting that way ..."

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

St. Nick only recruits scholar-athletes, Starman.

There is a distinction.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh yah. I've seen some of the fine citizens he recruits. :eek: ::) :eek:

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Funny, I've never confused Alabama with Harvard.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Alabama is the Harvard of...Alabama.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I thought that was Auburn?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I did learn on my last visit to Tuscaloosa that Alabama was the Confederate West Point during the Civil War. Didn't know that.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

correct. Allow me to re-phrase:

Alabama is the Harvard of Tuscaloosa

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You know what? On some spell-checks, the first option when it flags Saban is Satan. Bedeviling, isn't it?

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Samford?

Yes, the first thing Nick does is look at the list of National Merit Finalists each spring. Let a kid miss a film session for a class project group and see what happens.

11. IU90

IU90 Member

There's a grain of truth to what he says, but he neglects to mention that the big SEC state schools themselves don't exactly have stringent academic requirements for recruited players, instead they're closer to the bottom on that scale.

Saban chooses to make his comparison to South Florida because it just happens to be one of the few D1 schools with even less stringent requirements than his own, but there's also a lot of players suiting up for Florida, FSU and Alabama that would never be allowed in Northwestern, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt and plenty of others. Saban conveniently forgot to mention that part.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OUTING ALERT: Nick Saban is Boo ts.

Draft saved Draft deleted