1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AC Power Adapter Question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Feb 26, 2009.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Okay, so I got a new laptop some months ago (Dell Studio 1531). Just earlier this week, my AC power adapter completely shit the bed and when I plugged it into my computer and into a nearby outlet, I would get some error message saying: "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 90W AC adapter or higher for best system operation." I could use the adapter, but my computer's battery would not recharge, but I wouldn't lose anymore battery life.

So, I got the new AC adapter from Dell today and I'm using it right now, but I'm noticing the AC adapter "pack" is unbelievably hot.

Could this just be because my computer's battery is currently recharging to the full 100% or is this something I should be calling Dell about?

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

My Dell battery pack isn't "unbelievably hot," but it's warm to the touch, and mine's always running on AC power when I'm at home.

Unless it's literally too hot to touch, I'd think it's normal.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My HP, and my old Toshiba were and are always incredibly hot. Every once and I while I will unplug it. I don't know if it does anything.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

My Mac is the same way — hotter than hell; no way I can use it on my lap.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Same here. I think -- and this is just an assumption -- the weaker your battery is, in life, the hotter the pack will get. My batteries are really old, and I've been alternating them occasionally, and I've noticed my adapter gets a lot hotter now than it used to get.

6. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

All is well. I turned off the computer and just let the computer recharge to full strength and then turned it back on some time ago. The battery pack is cooler, so I figured it was just because my battery level was quite low.

Draft saved Draft deleted