1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AC/DC retiring today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if you want to be really crass about it, AC/DC could probably survive his absence (temporary or permanent).

If Malcolm Young's health is such he needs to take several months (or more) off, I would guess, using the "Rock Star" scenario, they could dig up a pretty good stand-in from one of the kazillion AC/DC tribute bands out there. Pretty much any AC/DC tribute act worth a crap has to have somebody who can play those giant rhythm riffs. The good ones would have to have somebody who was pretty good at it.

If A. Young or Johnson go down, the band is pretty much done (just like the Stones with Mick and Keith).

But IMO they could carry on with a stand-in playing the rhythm guitar parts which have been M. Young's mainstay.

Malcolm himself might well go for it since presumably he would still be getting a full share of all the tour receipts -- the 'designated guitarist' would be playing for a nominal salary (not even close to a full share but probably a good deal more than any AC/DC tribute group members make, pretty much the same deal the Stones have with Darryl Jones).

Didn't they already DO this a few years ago -- didn't a nephew stand in on a tour when M. Young was on a rehab stint?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

No doubt.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My realtor is Angus in a very good AC/DC tribute band. He's ready to serve if duty calls.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I suspect if anything along those lines develops, it will be handled very much on a "don't call us, we'll call you" basis.

Ha. Thinking a little more about the "Rock Star" scenario, and its comparison to sports and the farm-team situation, wouldn't it be funny if, after "Rock Star," the movie, that a lot of the top-level tribute bands started signing up their members to actual performance contracts (to prevent poaching from competitors), so when the Big Boys come calling, the tribute band would want something in return -- a stack of amps, a slightly-used tour bus from the 1990s, maybe a couple groupies to be named later?

Although I would guess if this line of discussion went very far, AC/DC would just say 'the hell with it' and move down the line until they came up with a band working without any formal contracts.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I would say "Ride On" is a ballad, and a damned good one.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Van Hagar also had more Top 40 hits (nine) and Top 10 hits (two) than Van Roth, whose totals were seven and one, respectively.

Granted, the one was huge - five weeks at No. 1. Hagar's biggest hits topped out at No. 3 and No. 5.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've always heard "Ride On" as a blues....

I love "The Jack" and the Dirty Deeds album still sounds great ("Squealer" is one of their better obscure songs). Even their last album, Black Ice, was pretty good even if it sounded like every other album they have done. Only saw them live once but they were great.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Respectfully disagrees.

[​IMG]

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I can't explain why I could just never get into ACDC. I even tried. Highway to Hell was good but no other song made me want to take the time to turn it on and, in fact, some of their classics (particularly "We Salute You" or whatever the name is) actually made me change the station.

And this coming from a rock fan.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm kind of with you. But "Dirty Deeds" is very good.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.

In light of this news, AC/DC asks that Malcolm and his family’s privacy be respected during this time. The band will continue to make music.

https://www.facebook.com/acdc

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The use of calling up tribute band members is pretty common these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribute_act#Establishment_as_non-tribute_act

Not included in this list is the current signer of Journey, and a one-time guitar player for David Lee Roth who was pulled from a Van Halen tribute band.

I can see the appeal. They know the songs (and the routines) cold, and they sound kinda sorta like the original, and they aren't extremely fucking bored with having played the hits for 40 years. They're also so thrilled to be there that they probably won't ask for a lot of money. (Presumably, that helps keep former tribute act guitarist Tommy Thayer employed with Kiss.)

Draft saved Draft deleted