1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AC/DC retiring today?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

First CD I ever purchased was "AC/DC Live" in 1992ish. "Thunderstruck" is still my favorite song from the band, but it has to be live. They were a great live band. Even on CD, you can feel the energy.

As far as Malcolm ... a great, great rhythm guitarist. How do you know? Because he can take one chord, play it over and over and over again and turn it into an awesome song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFlNo1NjAEQ

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Love Song was it and it was done very early in the band's career. Bon was a bit of a Aussie teen pop star well before joining AC/DC and I believe this was just left over from that. Excellent track, regardless.

I'm very wary of these reports which seemingly are coming from an old bass player's son. I believe Malcolm is sick, but not sure about the stroke. I'm also not sure they will end up the band all of the sudden. If there's material written and studio time booked, they'll probably finish whatever album they planned as a tribute (Angus can easily record all of the guitar parts).

It's really a testament that they have carried on this long with a relatively stable lineup. I know damn well they were all heavy smokers, so the odds were pretty high that one of them was going to develop some problem as they approached their 60s.

If this is indeed it, they didn't go out like chumps. This was 2009:

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I got the Back in Black album as a birthday gift when I turned 8 in late 1981.

I'm old... :D

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Van Halen without Dave wasn't Van Halen. And I say that as someone who really liked the song "Right Now".

Other than that, nothing.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

AC/DC replaced Bon Scott and didn't miss a beat. I really liked 5150, but Van Halen was a much different band after DLR left.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I just said "had extended success," not "pleased all the fans of their old stuff."

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Genesis.

How could this site forget Genesis?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is carrying on for a few more years with a new singer or two considered "success"?

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It still boggles my mind that Van Halen with Gary Cherone flopped so badly.

Cherone was far and away the best singer of the three.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Or Fleetwood Mac.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Journey!

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Did Genesis even have a gold record with Peter Gabriel?

Van Halen had four consecutive No. 1 albums with Hagar as lead singer (combined sales of 27 million). They never had a No. 1 album with Roth (unless you count their 1996 Greatest Hits compilation).

Most people much prefer the Roth version of VH, and I'm among them. But Hagar gets shit on undeservedly a lot of times.

Draft saved Draft deleted