1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absolutely outstanding reporting by Harrisburg Patriot News in PSU case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

She - and her editors - have done a really good job. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend she's Sy Hersh here, working out in the ether. It's gone the way it could and should - dogged reporting, hard work, writing/editing that I think tends a bit toward the sensational (but whatever), and consistent follow-up on obvious questions, like why the investigation took so long to finish.

If Ganim were smart, she'd stay in Harrisburg and see this through, with the editors who helped her write the stories. In a star culture - pervasive here, too, sadly - the obvious reflex is to suggest bigger and better. But, outside of NBC's Rock Center - with Costas on retainer - the bigger/better gang ain't done shit.

2. writingump

writingump Member

Took the time to read her stuff yesterday and was very impressed. We're talking rock star journalist here -- if she wanted to take it to that level. Hopefully, she just keeps doing what she's been doing. And give her paper credit for sticking by her and journalism instead of pandering to advertisers.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

While I would go with combination, I would go 80-20 of it being mostly her.

The two big analysis pieces she has done have been great reporting.

Draft saved Draft deleted