1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absolutely outstanding reporting by Harrisburg Patriot News in PSU case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Then the Inquirer decided to play catch-up Wednesday and have every single columnist working for the paper -- all 15 or so, it seemed, plus even Lyon -- file some of the most redundant columns I've ever seen from people who never/almost never cover college football, in many cases.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I can excuse the Philly papers being behind the ball. It's a sizable beat for them but at least sixth or seventh in the pecking order. There is no excuse for the CDT to get its ass handed to it here, other than the fact that the Penn State administration has dictated its coverage forever.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Wicked: Valid point, but clearly they did lose a terrific reporter to Harrisburg. If they had her stuff, it's a different ballgame.

Is it really a valid
    assumption that the Centre Daily Times in controlled by PSU?

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Not a college football story.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The firing of a college football coach is a college football story. The sexual abuse of eight and counting victims is not.

6. The young woman has done an absolutely amazing job. One thing, though, I was a bit surprised that she didn't break the arrest. I figured by now she'd be totally wired into the AG's office on that one. But she has been fantastic nonetheless. It makes me feel good that the locals can still kick the ass of the nationals on things like this (as it should be).

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Harrisburg came up lucky in that the young lady kept up with the story after her days at the CDT. If she had been at any other paper, they would've been the recipient of her good fortunes.
    Philly and Pittsburgh simply didn't do a good job on it. The last significant major story the Inky wrote about Penn State, IMO, was when John Cappelletti won the Heisman back in 1973.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

And this story is all of those things.

(I think you are agreeing with me). ;)

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

This story, the "Missed Chances" angle, really sums it all up and is another example fo the great work Harrisburg is doing:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/who_knew_what_about_jerry_sand.html

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Just an addendum. She was on NPR this afternoon ands was a brilliant interview.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did she say anything about the reaction in town to her work? It is thorough and completely unassailable from where we sit and with backgrounds in journalism. I wonder if this is one story, though, that even the town sees as so important that people aren't going to jump on her for reporting bad stuff about Good Ol' State U. That would be nice to hear.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Someone said today she got a lot of crap from fans when she wrote in the spring about the grand jury stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted