1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Absolutely outstanding reporting by Harrisburg Patriot News in PSU case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Nov 8, 2011.

1. spankys

spankys Member

Interviews with two of the victims mothers. I follow a lot of "star" national sports reporters on twitter and I find it interesting how many of them are retweeting the HPNs front page editorial calling for JoePa to be fired, but they're making no mention of this story and the fantastic reporting job, maybe because they were scooped.
    Anyway, aside from that, this is excellent journalism. And I have no connection to Harrisburg.

http://mobile.pennlive.com/advpenn/pm_105257/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=lewgHw1E

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

That story is getting a lot of links on Twitter as well, deservedly so.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I suspect Sara Ganim is going to get a few job offers. Outstanding work.

4. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I know it is partially due to the way the grand jury labeled the kids, but I found it really hard to follow the timeline of victim 1 and victim 6 since victim 6 was actually molested before victim 1. I got confused twice while reading it and had to go recheck who I was reading about.

Am I an idiot or did other people have this problem?

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Excellent reporting. I noticed the part about the parent asking for no more interviews. Wonder if that will be respected?

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Patriot-News deserves serious consideration for a Pulitzer.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Sara has done a stunning job. So did the editorial board this morning.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She'll be at a very big paper when she collects her APSEs a year from now.

Truly outstanding work.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm glad there's some fleeting support for us keeping her around for another year ... ;)

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Nah, she'll be gone in a month. But she'll still be at the very big paper in a year when the awards are given out. :p

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Doesn't Orlando have an opening? I'm sure the SE will have to resist the urge to elevate another preps writer, but I'd have this reporter on speed dial if I had job to fill.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

She's a news reporter.

Draft saved Draft deleted