1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrupt retirements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Right. Jordan's first retirement had nothing near the same "holy shit" factor.

Sure it was obvious Jordan could play for a few more years and the baseball stuff sounded like bullshit, but it was also obvious he had more than enough money he could walk away and sit on the beach the rest of his life any time he felt like it.

Magic's was, "holy shit!"

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

What made Magic's retirement a "holy shit" moment was because people were shocked that he had HIV.

Jordan's retirement was a bit surprising, but I think a lot of people understood his father's death had been hard on him and he needed a break from the NBA.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Some others who haven't been mentioned:

Jackie Robinson --- was traded to the Giants following the 1956 season, but quit instead to become an executive for the Chock Full O' Nuts coffee company

Kenny Stabler --- turned the ball over three times in the fourth quarter of a mid-October loss to the Cowboys, retired four days later

Allen Iverson (although I don't think he actually retired immediately, he definitely quit abruptly)

Bjorn Borg --- was only 26 years old

Back to the original post, Dye did not really retire, it's that he was old and a terrible outfielder and no one wanted to sign him at his asking price. There's a difference between him and guys like Barry Sanders and Marvin Hagler, who clearly had plenty of good years left in the tank.

Yeah, and Magic went on the Arsenio Hall Show the next day and denied he was gay, and the crowd erupted in applause (it's about about the 3:50 mark):

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jake Plummer was a pretty big one that seems to go overlooked.

5. Mizzougrad96

Brandon Lloyd

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Brett Favre.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Allen Iverson still hasn't retired.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Versatile, your Schmidt stats are wrong. He played 108 games in 1988 and 42 in 89 when he retired. His numbers did drop off dramatically in 88, but they weren't so bad for the year he retired, although not great.

9. Mizzougrad96

And by abrupt, you mean every year for nine years... :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Mizzougrad96

I'll never forget that press conference. I've been to a few retirement pressers where athletes just sit there and sob, but I remember watching Schmidt's on TV and it rattled me at the time.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Babe Ruth --- quit on June 2, 1935, following an argument with Boston Braves owner Emil Fuchs, who had supposedly signed him with the promise to eventually make him manager

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

My stats are not wrong. I left off the zero from 150.

Draft saved Draft deleted