1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrupt retirements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dale Earnhardt.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thurman Munson

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think you're talking to me. Robert Smith was 28 and coming off the best season of his career. He didn't have any injuries, but he wanted to avoid them and knew he could make it in TV.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitRo00.htm

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Correct. I think it's weird that his was the most stunning retirement of your sports-watching life, or whatever it was you said.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Am I forgetting one?

Actually, I'm sort of ignoring Michael Jordan's first retirement because I was pretty young and that clearly was bullshit for one reason or another. Jordan's second retirement was pretty much expected (and his third was about time).

6. JackReacher

For me, the most stunning retirements were Magic, Jordan, and Sanders.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Come on now

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't remember Magic Johnson's retirement. Barry Sanders had accomplished so much that I could understand it.

Robert Smith's stands out because it seemed like he was walking away at the moment he finally had tapped his potential fully.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I can't imagine any retirement ever topping the "holy shit" factor of Magic.

10. JackReacher

Fair enough. You're younger than I am, obviously.

Still weird, though.

11. JackReacher

Yeah. That's my top seed for sure. Jordan next, then Sanders. I'd have to consult with Google to find any others that were anywhere near that level of stunning.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

His press conference where Magic said he "attained" the virus was memorable.

On the local (LA) cable channel afterwards, Chick Hearn was talking, and the conversation was about the rumors floating how he got it. The word "gay" never came up, but that was the thrust of the conversation. Chick looked into the camera and admonished viewers: Without saying the word, Chick said if any homosexual rumors came up, "You deny it!!"

I, as the viewer, was supposed to deny it. My friends and I laughed about that for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted