1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrupt retirements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Tiki Barber.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Michael Jordan
    Magic Johnson

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think Urlacher actually could have hurt his future earnings if he played for another team.

Far better to remain a Chicago Bears hero, than to fuck it up by playing for another team.

Could Bernie Williams have played for someone else if he had wanted to hang on? If Jonny Damon could, I would think he could have.

4. Boom_70

Scott Brosius

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure Williams could have played a few more years as a average-level OF a-la Damon.

With Urlacher, maintaining his status as a Career Bear rather than bouncing to another team was probably a real good idea. The Bears' roster of celebrity/media-personality alumni has a big gap following the Ditka Super Bowl teams of the 80s, so Urlacher can probably look forward to 30-40 years of being a demi-god in the Chicago area.

6. Boom_70

Marvin Hagler

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Mike Schmidt. He felt he was slipping, but it sure caught the Phillies by surprise.

8. vicd

vicd Active Member

Lee Roy Selmon picked retirement over back surgery. Smart man.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Over his last two seasons, he played 150 games and had a slash line of .236/.326/.396/.722. Was it surprising to anyone but the many delusional Phillies fans?

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Also, Robert Smith's was the most stunning retirement of my time as a sports fan.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes, because it came in May, in the middle of a West Coast trip, IIRC.

Draft saved Draft deleted