1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abrupt retirements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

didn't he decide to retire before the trade? I seem to recall that the trade was basically about the Bucs 'selling' a draft pick to Denver. Essentially retired players have to pay back roster bonuses to their teams, though not necessarily to the team that paid them, to the team whose roster they were on at the time. So Denver pays Plummer a roster bonus, trades him to Tampa for a pick, Plummer retires, Plummer has to repay the roster bonus to Tampa. Basically Tampa sold Denver a draft pick for whatever Plummer's roster bonus was.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lee Roy Selmon?

Never heard of him. Was he any good?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Eric Crouch.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'd always heard they traded Palmeiro to make room for Mark Grace.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Grace was already on the team and Palmeiro was playing left field.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

As I recall Plummer was going to retire but Tampa thought he wasn't serious, and they definitely wanted him to play. Gruden and the GM flew to Idaho to meet with him. Plummer said at one point he saw the two high-five because they thought they had him convinced, when in reality Plummer had no interest in playing for them and was basically being polite in hearing them out.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Man, if you could project a lineup with Brian McRae, Dave Martinez, Mark Grace, Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmeiro leading the order in 1996 or so, that Cubs team might have had the best offense in the National League. The rotation still would've been garbage, though.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Whatever did happen with the first Mrs. Sandberg? Did she marry one of her alleged mister-esses? (Come to think of it, how come there's no parallel term for mistress that relates to the male in an out-of-wedlock thing?)

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He was just ready to emulate Michael Jordan and embark on that lucrative handball career.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Houston Rockets had a guy in the early 1980s named Robert Reid who did the same thing. Stayed away for a year and had the famous quote "I didn't know how good I had it until I was working and making $250 per week". He came back and played several more years and was on their 1986 NBA Finals team.

Draft saved Draft deleted