1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abramson out as NYT editor, Baquet replaces her

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, May 14, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Abramson out and NYT editor, Baquet replaces her

This is a tangent to the discussion, I don't think it had anything to do with Abramson getting the ax ... but a Times internal committee recently tore apart the digital operation, saying it's too slow and clunky and poorly promoted and legacy-driven to keep up with the world. Of particular note: One factor is an obsessive focus on the front page of the print paper, with reporters evaluated in their annual reviews on how many times they’ve made A1. “The newsroom is unanimous: we are focusing too much time and energy on Page One,” the report says.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mylestanzer/exclusive-times-internal-report-painted-dire-digital-picture

The committee was headed by the newest and youngest Sulzberger heir -- Ponch? Paunch? Where are we on the nicknames? -- so it remains to be seen whether the report is taken seriously or it's just a resume fluffer to pretend he belongs in the next job he gets.

2. Decadent

Decadent New Member

The focus on the front page is a common problem at many newspapers.

I thought that report was well done. Other newspapers would do well to emulate it. Their efforts at defining goals have often been poor.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Was it that she was making less than one of the deputies? I thought it was because she found out she was making less than her predecessor in the position and went in demanding to be bumped up to the predecessor's level.

4. Decadent

Decadent New Member

If that really happened, that's a problem in itself. Pay raises should be based on merit, not precedent.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Both that she was making less than Keller and that she was making less than a current deputy have been reported by Ken Auletta.
    PS: As an addendum to my last post, I should point out that the women Times' advertisers are seeking as an audience are higher-income, higher education level women, that is, women who closely resemble Abramson. Way to target market!

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Yes, this has been an unusual 24 hours. Dean is a great editor who has a great grasp of many subjects, but even he still leans toward writing for Page 1, with the website a supplementary component.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The users I know unanimously cite the Times' Website as the best or among the best newspaper Websites they visit. It's not a representative sample, but neither is it a small one. Prioritizing what is and isn't news is the boss editor's job. In the thought process context, the editor of the Times will always be working in a Page One mode even if the paper were to become wholly digital, because setting the news agenda for the whole damn world is the integral part of the Times' brand.

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Did he report the second one? I didn't see that, just the first. Not doubting you, just asking: Do you have a link?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He has a twitter account, but has never tweeted.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dean Baquet is Caleb Hannan.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Discussion of it here:

Patrick LaForge -- ‏@palafo

Seeing lots of people follow @baquetnyt. The correct account is @deanbaquet. He has no tweets. Might have to talk to him about that.

https://twitter.com/palafo/status/466738648147165184

For a company that is concerned about its digital presence, it's probably not great that people are questioning whether the new EE is a Luddite.

jennifer mcfadden ‏@jen_mcfadden 18h

@palafo @AntDeRosa @DavidClinchNews I do. It's hard to understand one of the primary news distribution tools if you're not native. Bad sign.

@palafo @AntDeRosa @DavidClinchNews Doesn't make him a bad reporter--just a bad replacement for a newsroom that desperately needs to up digi

----- -------- ---------

Anthony De Rosa ‏@AntDeRosa 18h

@palafo @jen_mcfadden @DavidClinchNews There's a perception, even if it's inaccurate, those in the news biz who don't tweet are luddites

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

God, I hate when Twitter snobs bitch about someone not being as into Twitter as they are.

Draft saved Draft deleted