1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abramson out as NYT editor, Baquet replaces her

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, May 14, 2014.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The death knell for newspapers as we once knew them was the loss of classifieds.

For all intents and purposes, Craigslist is free. You CANNOT compete with free, no matter how many eggheads you hire or how wonderful your staff is or how sharp your advertising people are. You. Cannot. Compete. With. Free.

That is $19 billion that walked out of the industry every year and is never coming back.

And it's no one's fault.

studthug12 likes this.
  2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Interview for Baquet. YF will appreciate this exercept:

SPIEGEL: You personally have posted exactly two tweets, both in June of last year.

Baquet: (laughs). I know this is going to get me in trouble, but I’ll say it: The whole notion that I am supposed to constantly tweet is ridiculous. There are a lot of journalists at the New York Timeswho tweet. I am not opposed to it. But I don’t have enough time. And editors don’t have much to say. My world consists of this office, this floor, my apartment and wonderful conversations with our reporters and correspondents — all of them know a lot more about the world than I do.

SPIEGEL Interview with Chief New York Times Editor Dean Baquet - SPIEGEL ONLINE

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Baquet is better on Facebook anyway.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We had a guy come to fix our coffee machine, and he totally fucked that up.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted