1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About to make the leap from BlackBerry to iPhone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Oct 9, 2011.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Exactly. So sick of emails and texts from iphone users who use 'r' and 'u' as correct spellings because it's too much of a hassle to tap out the whole word. I still use the little Pearl with the SureType keyboard, which I can use without even looking. But I'm in the market for something new, and this outage makes me want to jump to something else. I was waiting for the new Bold for ATT, but now I don't know. Annoying!!

2. accguy

accguy Member

I love my iPhone and don't miss my Blackberry in the least. That's all I've got for you.

And I like my iPhone better than the HTC Hero I had on Sprint.

But the good thing is is that there's no real wrong answer. Get what you like and you'll use.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

For about three minutes in a press box Thursday night, I sent myself a text from someone's iPhone. Man, was it tough for me to feel comfortable typing. What comes to mind is the expression "I was all thumbs," meaning what we meant that to mean before we knew it could be a good thing.

It was not a good thing.

Understanding Mizzougrad said it takes some time to get good at it, I still wonder how I'd adjust.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The Droid, at least the original, which I have, has a slide-out keyboard. So you can still have the buttons, but have a much bigger screen.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'd get an Android phone with a keyboard.
    What carrier? That really will narrow it down.
    I went from a phone with a keyboard to an Evo 3D in June. I used the SwiftKey keyboard which predicts what word you're going to type from your texting and email patterns.
    That said, I still have issues with a touchscreen.

6. Johnny Dangerously

I use AT&T. I'm finally getting a number in the area code in which I now live, and they suggest if I plan to get a new phone, to do that first, then make the change in AC. I'm eligible for an "upgrade."

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I just made this switch, and to be honest, I'm already thrilled with it. I thought I'd hate, Hate, HATE the typing thing, but after two weeks, I'm almost completely used to it. I probably don't type out long messages the way I sometimes did with the BB, but the cool shit my iPhone can do (like turn into a recorder, turn into a Flashlight, let me watch Netflix, listen to Pandora, save stuff using the Read It Later ap, easily let me download podcasts, let me take good pictures of my kid to send to my parents all the way across the country) makes it a total no brainer. Plus, I think you can actually get a messenger system you can use to chat with people on BB Messenger for the iPhone. So if that's what's making you hold on to a BB, look into that.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

For anybody with an iPhone, I have a question. I synced my contacts with Google through an Exchange account on the phone, but now my contact's pictures aren't full screen on the phone. Any idea how I can get them back to being full screen again?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Poor siri. (Audio not entirely SFW.)

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6648229/siri-argument

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I am speaking my reply to this post using Siri. It is pretty cool.

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

My home button started acting up last week pretty badly. Basically, last week it wouldn't work for half of a day. Charged it and seemed to work fine. However, my warranty with Apple is up next week and I was thinking of taking it in to the genius bar to have them look at it. Tho - the nearest one is an hour or so away and my back screen is cracked (unrelated tho). I just don't want to waste a trip there to have them do nothing or the stuff I have already done (reset, etc).

I also have the Best Buy insurance as well, but it seems you have to send your phone in and Apple/Best Buy sends you a new or refurbished phone in 3-5 business days. With my job, I really can't go a day without a phone.

Still entertaining both plans, but am really not sure what to do.

edit: As I setup this appointment, the home button seems to be working just fine. Blah

12. Johnny Dangerously

Still happy with it? I've postponed, and postponed, largely because I have so little free time, and I think I'll need it to master a new phone. I don't want to get one, then have a really hectic day catch me being all thumbs (in the bad way) precisely when I need to be fast. I've stalled also for other reasons that are not worth going into here.

How's it going for you, Double Down?

Draft saved Draft deleted