1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

About Chuck Culpepper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gingerbread, Nov 29, 2007.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Because Chuck has so many friends and admirers on this board, thought I'd give an update on his latest accomplishment:

Seems he's quite the hit in London. The UK version of his book has been out since August and is titled: "Up Pompey: A Clueless American Sportswriter Bumbles Through English Football."
    (The US version hits our shores in August, with a different title. Look for Chuck to do book signings in all the hot spots.)

Even more impressive, this week he was a nominee (like Meryl) for the William Hill Sports Book of the Year award at the Waterstone's in Piccadilly. In September they pared the list to 15 out of the original 120 books, then cut the list to six in October. The tension was great as the winner took home $37,000 plus a $4,000 bet, and the finalists $4,100 and a $2,000 bet (in US dollars). Only in the UK would part of the prize include betting money.
    BBC Radio Five Live, which covered the ceremony, interviewed the authors.
    While Chuck didn't win, he did get a check and a £1,000 bet (which he'll likely put on Patriots against Dolphins, or maybe Jets).

So here's a toast to our favorite ex-pat!

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Congrats to not only one of my favorite people in the biz, but one of my favorite people period and the sole reason my mother ever picked up the Lexington Herald-Leader sports section.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What is he doing over there, gingerbread? Is he working for a British paper or just writing books?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Have always enjoyed reading his stuff, and I'm glad the L.A. Times uses him, quite extensively, on stuff from Europe.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

He's freelancing, writing books (second is in the works, I believe) and is on contract with LA Times.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

If every accomplished writer was as nice as Chuck, there would be no SportsJournalists.com.

7. CNY

CNY Member

Chuck is a wonderful person. And from a copy editor's standpoint, supremely easy to work with

Thanks for this; sounds like a fun book.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thanks, gb. I'd seen some stuff of his on the wire during the Angels-Ducks series in London, and I had been wondering where he went.

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Angels-Ducks would be quite a story.

Guerrero flies down the right wing, takes a wild swing ... ;D

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know what I meant.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nothing like a good post-major-metro-newspaper career story to provide inspiration to those of us already out, recently out or contemplating getting out of the incredible shrinking industry as daily staffers.

Good for Chuck, and good for us! :D

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The pride and joy of Southampton County, Va., and one of the truly nice guys in this business. Congrats.

Draft saved Draft deleted