1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion absolutism

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good article at Slate, by William Saletan, about how impossible it is to draw lines in regards to when a fetus should be abortable and when it should not, i.e. when does personhood begin? (I've always thought viability is a reasonable one, but he makes the argument that even that isn't a satisfying line). He maps out the gestational milestones, and argues that there is no, "eureka!" moment where a person exists. It's a process.

I pretty much agree with Saletan, and I'm anti-abortion. I understand the argument that miscarriages end a life, as well, and many pregnancies end in miscarriage. But I think there is a principled difference between an accident of nature and a free will choice.

But the side of the line that I personally fall on is less interesting than the discussion about whether there are principled lines you can draw at all when it comes to abortion. It's an area where I've always felt that compromises - such as conservatives who advocate for allowing abortion in cases of rape or incest - don't have much of a place.

Let's try to keep it civil, peeps. It's an interesting topic.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The vast majority of abortions are done in the first trimester, with a smaller percentage in the second, and very few in the third.

I didn't see anything in the story or the study (which I'll admit, I scanned through because it's so long) about the reasons for third-trimester abortions, but I'm assuming most of them were done because either the life or health or both of the mother was at risk.
  3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Personhood beings when a business incorporates. Some advocate that moment is when those incorporating sign the papers. Others advocate it is when the paperwork is filed. I advocate it is when the paperwork is approved by whatever authority approves such paperwork.
  4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

But what should happen when personhood is incorporated by rape or incest?
  5. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Life begins at "Haven't I seen you in here before?"
  6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're anti-abortion? Wow... never would have guessed that in a million years...
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always thought that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac made a cute couple.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If the rapist remembers to file incorporation papers, everything is golden.
  9. JR

JR Active Member

What's this, thread 1,055 on this subject? And is "personhood" a real word?
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Are they any less a profit making venture whether they are voluntarily or involuntarily incorporated?

Is Bankruptcy murder or suicide?
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Easy. Just force the woman to marry the rapist and bear child. [/allmoralsystemsareequal]
  12. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

(God how I love Childrens Hospital, the best TV comedy going by miles right now)

As for the topic at hand, I've never understood the argument against life beginning at conception. The vast, vast majority of the time, what is conceived will become a life, that's an indisputable fact.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted