1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abolish ICE (cars in California)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued an executive order requiring all new car sales in the state to be zero-emission vehicles (i.e., electric) by 2035. Medium and heavy duty trucks must meet the same standard by 2045.
    You can still drive internal combustion engine cars, sell them on the used market, etc., but the goal is obviously to phase them out by about 2050. I'd imagine at some point in the next 10 years or so they'll also put in plenty of new restrictions on buying and selling gasoline to push the needle toward zero-emission cars.

This quote might be one of the biggest pieces of political spin ever, considering he just signed an order banning an entire classification of vehicle that makes up at least 95 percent of the current fleet, not to mention taking a hard stand against the oil and gas industry:

Newsom orders 2035 phaseout of gas-powered vehicles, calls for fracking ban

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So the state that defined "car culture" is trying to transform itself in 15 years.

A quick Google search landed 14 major oil refineries in California, not to mention assembly plants in Oakland, Fremont, San Jose, Long Beach, Los Angeles, South Gate and Van Nuys. Nor does that even scrape the surface: NAPA, AutoZone, Advance, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's, local parts dealers, secondary markets, new and used car dealers, garages, brake shops, transmission shops, tire stores and ... I could go on.

Neat idea, especially since another governor has to implement it down the road (!). But "being committed to" and "implementing something that could cost zillions of dollars of taxpayer money better spent elsewhere" are two things en-tire-ly.

ChrisLong likes this.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Given the investments that auto manufacturers are already making in electricity and alternative fuels such as hydrogen, this may be redundant.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I would think the car parts stores will survive just fine for another half century at least on parts and supplies for aging combustion engine cars; not to mention electric and hydrogen cars need windshield wipers and tires too.

An Autoline episode awhile back interviewed a number of auto industry insiders and they said the manufacturers love this idea because it’s going to force entire fleet turnover for the first time in decades.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted