1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abilene, Texas needs a sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by big green wahoo, Mar 1, 2008.

1. from JJobs. Anyone got the scoop on ol' Barton?

Company: Abilene Reporter-News
    Position: Seeking Sports Reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: April 4, 2008
    Job ID: 888729

Description:
    The Abilene Reporter-News, a 33,000 daily (40,000 Sunday) E.W. Scripps newspaper in west-central Texas, is looking for a sports writer. Our readership is rabid about sports coverage and reads our section voraciously for its intensely local coverage of prep and collegiate sports. Abilene has two NCAA Div. III universities, one Div. II university and three public high schools. Our area has an additional 80 high schools. Come join a staff that the APSE recently recognized for its Sunday sports section as well as its football tab - one of the most comprehensive of its kind. We offer a salary commensurate with experience and three weeks vacation during the first year. While we will consider entry-level candidates with outstanding clips and internship experience, it is within our means to hire an experienced staff writer. Candidates should send a resume, short biography and no more than 10 recent work samples to Barton Cromeens, Editor, Abilene Reporter-News, 101 Cypress Street, Abilene, TX, 79601, or email cromeensb@reporternews.com.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

There's been a lot of bad things said about the Reporter-News (and some of it by me), but I'll give them two things:

1. Bart's good people
    2. They've got higher hiring standards than they did when they hired me 12 years ago.

One question, though: Do they have a Sports Editor?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nope. No sports editor. It's never been filled.

This wouldn't be the worst place in the world to work by any means, but be prepared to be extremely short-handed.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You get to cover the Permian Panthers.

5. Bob Sakamano

Bob Sakamano New Member

I hear Eric Taylor can be tough on reporters.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wrong.
    Odessa is 2 1/2 hours away and Abilene High just got put in a district with Metroplex schools, while Cooper is a 4A now.

7. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

this job was posted less than a year ago, anyone know what the deal is or are people just moving up from Abilene? Trips to the metroplex wouldn't be bad for hoops and football. I thought sanders was the sports editor, or is he the one that left?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Hey, they played each other the season in which the book was written.

Stoney Case was the backup QB. His WR's were better than the ones he had in Detroit.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

True. They've played each other for many, many years, but that is coming to an end.
    I'm sure they will continue to play each other in alternate sports, but not in football.
    I just wanted to clear that up.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sanders quit awhile ago and they've never filled it. I know they are extremely short-staffed right now, but I don't think anyone left recently. I think they were under a hiring freeze or something and are finally getting to fill this.
    I don't know much about the office situation, but based on how they covered stuff last year, I'd be shocked if writers will be going on the road to the Metroplex to cover Abilene High.
    This paper was notorious for not traveling to road games at Odessa and Midland last season and relying on getting stats from the other papers.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

biggest benefit is joe allen's.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That press box at Shotwell is one cold motherfucker in November and December. Bet it's hot as balls in September.

Draft saved Draft deleted