1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abe Vigoda outlives Steve Landesberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Dietrich did not replace Yemana. The character first appeared later in Season 2, was a recurring character in Season 3 and was a regular by Season 4. Yemana was on until Season 5, which is when Jack Soo died.

Here's a scene of the two of them together.

2. Double J - I sit corrected.

What an awesome show. It has not gotten close to its due.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

That's for damned sure.

I forgot to mention Gregory Sierra as a cast member (Seasons 1 and 2) who is also still alive.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

What an awesome actor on an awesome show. My dad loved watching "Barney Miller" and he got my sister and I hooked on it as kids, too. It was so well written and so well acted.

Side note: Max Gail grew up in our coverage area. I found his photo on the class composite at his high school a few years back. (Hey, they were just outside the gym!).

Second side note: Steve was on one of the worst things I've ever seen - the pilot for the TV show based on "Blazing Saddles" - I think it was called "Black Bart." It's an extra feature on the "Blazing Saddles" DVD. Man, was that painful to watch. I am so glad that it never made it to TV. That would have killed the careers of Steve (who played Gene Wilder's role) and Clevon Little. And, it would have taken the luster off the best comedy film ever made, in my opinion.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Oh, man, I almost forgot about "Black Bart." I saw it when I got the Blazing Saddles DVD. I watched it once, and that was enough.

For the record, Landesberg didn't actually play the Waco Kid. For the TV pilot, they made up a character named "Reb" who was supposedly on the South side in the Civil War, defected to the North and became Bart's deputy.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Also can't forget James Gregory as the irascible, somewhat racist Lugar. Also from IMDB, Kenneth Tigar played Kopechne. Barney appears in the most episodes (171), with Woj appearing in one less.

Draft saved Draft deleted