1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abe Vigoda outlives Steve Landesberg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Dec 20, 2010.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I can only find cursory mentions of it in a quickie web search, but I'm pretty sure I remember Barney Miller being voted as the most realistic cop show in a poll of police officers for several years in a row.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dietrich was a sea change from Fish, and I think he made Barney Miller a bit of a tighter show. R.I.P.

As to the show, it does have a bit of explaining to do about their portrayal of gays and people with mental health issues. Although I have to say Stefan Kopechne, the human werewolf, was a hoot.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I loved Dietrich. As Mr. Friend O' notes, he had a great delivery. "Did I ever mention I was raised by wolves?"

The werewolf was a riot, especially when he was howling in the cell and Barney shouted, "This is a police station, not a horror movie!"

Man, I loved that show.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

"Can't you see it, Barney? Hair is growing out of his face!"

"It's called a beard! Haven't you ever seen one before?"

"Not in my family."

I know that was Barney and Yemana, but the level of humor was hysterical. RIP Steve.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

So who all is left from the Barney Miller cast besides Abe? Max Gail, Ron Glass and Gregory Sierra? Anyway, what a great show.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, Hal Linden is still around.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Barbara Barrie and Linda Lavin are also still alive.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Nice one from the Times obit:

In one 1980 episode he tells his boss, Captain Miller, that he is working on a case that dates to 1973. Miller says: “That was seven years ago! Nixon was president!” Dietrich’s typically low-key response: “No, he’s got an airtight alibi for this one.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/21/arts/television/21landesberg.html?ref=obituaries

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

A friend (who was an original cast member of Mamma Mia) worked with Hal Linden and said he was a prince. It honestly sounds like everyone in that cast was a mensch. It sure seems like it would have been fun to work on that show.

YHS, etc

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Was he not at one time married to Diana Canova (Corrine on Soap)?

11. Dietrich was a replacement for Yamana (Jack Soo) not Fish. And Landesberg first appeared on the show as a fake priest in season 2. I just watched that episode last night on Youtube - they seem to have all the episodes and I've been wasting a lot of time there.

Draft saved Draft deleted