1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ABC To Air MDA Telethon

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BNWriter, Jun 25, 2013.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

It used to be a group of affiliated stations when Jerry was around, as we all know. But now ABC is going to air the scaled down edition in 2013 (and beyond.....?). It is an interesting development. Anyone wonder how much longer it will last (or get passed around after ABC decides this wasn't such a great idea)?
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would call this "good news" for MDA. Though it makes it easier to sell it as a win. Since it's taped now, I figured local affiliates could air nd probably should air it and re-air it over the Sunday/Monday as they saw fit. Run it three consecutive times or whatever. I think one of the big problems with the old format is that Lewis was tight with local affiliates but as the people he was tight with retired and moved on and affiliates changed hands, those relationships became fewer and fewer.
  3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Two hours ain't a telethon. Or any -thon.
  4. DanOregon

I always wondered what happened to the Children's Miracle Network thing that Marie Osmond used to do. I figure there is a story behind the MDA thing that would be pretty interesting. Or a movie about a fading legend at odds with a charity board, and 20-plus hours of broadcast time coast-to-coast, rumors that "this" would be the last year of a telethon. Feature behind-the-scenes "mockumentary" style interviews of performers reminiscing about the wild goings-on in the old days.
  5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I guess we'll never see an honest-to-goodness telethon again. Sign of the times, I suppose, that we'll never again enjoy Charo and plate spinners at 4 a.m. while the vice president of the Tall Cedars' Dubuque chapter announces a donation during a pre-taped segment.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another thing to consider: How much income would stations lose when MDA replaces overnight infomercials.
  7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The days when stations would clear extended hours for a telethon are over. MDA lasted longer than most because of Jerry Lewis. Once they booted him, they were just another cause looking for TV time.
  8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's no reason to do a telethon anymore. I think they were more effective when there went a couple hundred other channels to turn to.

Do a two-hour benefit in prime time. Get some decent music and comedy acts and get some celebrities to answer the phones...
  9. DanOregon

True - look at the success of various benefit shows following national tragedies like 9/11, Katrina and the Oklahoma tornado. The other point about the expansion of TV channels is also quite true. Used to be Labor Day TV was a dead zone. It still pretty much is, but easier to be the best of five options than the best of 200.
  10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

5 options? Damn, all I had growing up was 3, 6 and 13..and 13 was really fuzzy (luckily it was PBS)!
  11. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

Tell Jerry to do a Kickstarter like everyone else.
Draft saved Draft deleted