1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ABC reporter arrested in Denver

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NoOneLikesUs, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what was more disturbing, the cop pushing the producer out into a downtown Denver street or the douchebag chomping on a cigar while putting down the choke hold.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Hey give him a break. He took the cigar out of his mouth to say, "You're under arrest, buster."

"Courtesy, Professionalism, Respect."

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Police behavior is understandable once people understand that they are a para-military organization.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Not excusing it, excessive and wrong. My only question/problem: When police tell you to move, you're supposed to move, right? If they're wrong, you sort it out wherever. But that's where you get "failure to follow a lawful order."

I don't think, right or wrong, a news person is supposed to be openly ignoring what the cop told him to do.

Does that make sense, without sounding like I'm defending it?

5. rascalface

rascalface Member

I guess that depends on whether a cop telling you to vacate public property where you have every right to be constitutes a "lawful order." I'm no lawyer, but from a layman's perspective this whole thing stinks.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No. That's not a lawful order. A badge is not blanket permission for a cop to tell people what to do. If the crew is doing nothing wrong the cop has no right to order them to leave.

If he somehow decides he needs to clear the sidewalk and orders everyone to the other side, that's one thing. He cannot allow the general public on the sidewalk and order cameras to go across the street.

It's news - there's no "sort it out wherever." The crew was there to get video of people leaving the hotel - how do you sort it out after the people have left the hotel?

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

None of the video links are working anymore :(

8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Use the video link at the start of the topic thread, not the one in the story. I just clicked on it and it worked fine.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Police violating the first amendment? You don't say! I always figured that one of the perks of being a cop is being able to break the laws you enforce. It stinks.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This particular producer has been in hairy situations before, and is an absolute professional.

Dude did absolutely nothing wrong, other than try to get a story displeasing to the local constabulary.

And here's a link that works:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Conventions/story?id=5668622

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

just watched the video. Aren't those pigs something else. Of course if the guy had shoved the cop back, he would have been charged with assaulting a police officer.

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

didn't see that in three weeks in Beijing

Draft saved Draft deleted