1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ABC reporter arrested in Denver

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NoOneLikesUs, Aug 27, 2008.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Terrifying stuff.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Now our law enforcement is being out-sourced to China.
  3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Here's something from the comments portion of the story which I find interesting since it's not included in ABC's report:

Of course, it could be untrue, but I'm interested to see where this story goes. Quite disturbing if ABC did nothing wrong.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

If they were blocking the entrance in violation of local law, they did something wrong. And after all the years of putting up with rude camcorderbois as a sports writer ... fuck 'em.
  5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I'm just saying, keep in mind that's a comment that hasn't been attributed or confirmed. But yes, if they broke the law, then posted a biased story to make them look like angels, fuck 'em with a rusty nail.
  6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jesus, stuff like this just makes my head hurt.

If you believe a producer and a photographer were somehow making it unsafe for people to enter or leave the hotel, you're completely nuts.

Here's the thing about working in news: the cops -- particularly rookie cops - fuck with you all the time. A cop cannot tell you to go take your camera on the other side of the street when the rest of the public is allowed there on the sidewalk. They try that shit all the time, and they legally are not allowed to do it. It's not fucking Beijing. We have a free press. You don't shuffle around and do your job wherever a Denver cop orders you to stand. I'm not going to sell out a journalist because some PR flak for a hotel posts a CYA comment on a website.
  7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Must be a small hotel to have only one exit door that could be completely blocked by a producer and a TV camera. Perhaps the fire marshall might be interested to know the hotel has such a small exit area.
  8. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

While I'll never be mistaken as a fan of TV "News," I'm with you on that one, cops WAY too often have a hard time understanding the whole first amendment part of the constitution.
  9. KP

KP Active Member

The reason they do it is because its easier and they figure the odds of getting called out on it and having anything done about it are slim. Slim may have just stepped to the table.
  10. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Goodness, that video is frightening. No way they're blocking the entrance -- they're standing off to the side, and it looks like a wide, busy sidewalk. Pushing the guy into the street, grabbing him by the neck -- indefensible behavior by the Denver Police Department.
  11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Well said, PC.

If it was a print reporter, nobody on this site would have spent a microsecond on the flak's comment.
  12. derwood

derwood Active Member

fyi - it is a very small, very old hotel. two entarnces.
Draft saved Draft deleted