1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ABC News to the print industry: Drop Dead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Oct 27, 2008.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

ABC News president David Westin announced in passing in an e-mail to staff that his company will immediately drop all subscriptions to newspapers and magazines, and instead will access their products for free via the Internet.

Another nail in the coffin.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Sounds as if ABC News is having some money problems more than an f-you to print....NBC recently announced a bunch of layoffs, as well.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought this was about the ABC's new circ numbers. Down again. Not a surprise. But when you think about the trend of declining circulation set against a growing population that equals a massive decline in market penetration which is really bad news for advertising.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Why do newspapers give their stuff away for free? Isn't that what we all should be asking?

5. moonlight

moonlight Member

Once you let the cat out of the bag, can you put it back in?

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Not mine. But every cat has a different temperament, no? :)

Seriously, I don't know. It seems a terrible misstep at this point though.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Hey Mr. ABC News Executive: Without newspapers, three-quarters of your local affiliates couldn't put fill a 10-minute newscast.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's stupid.

He should go to cheapmagazines.com.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.
    Even the very best stations clip articles and hand them out in news meetings.
    The smaller markets. Honest to God, I have seen them read the paper in the morning to tell people what's going on.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Good thing they can still get everything for free on the interweb tubes.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Print industry to ABC News: We know it's terminal, but do we have to rush it?

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

On behalf of print industry, I can't remember the last time I chose ABC for my national news coverage. Just huddle around "Grey's Anatomy" and everything will be OK ...

Draft saved Draft deleted