1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAU basketball tryout notice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Dec 13, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, good disagreement. I just always remember an old editor of mine who just hated, hated, hated these pay-for-play team solicitations. Now if that same AAU team won some (bullshit) title or otherwise had an interesting story, maybe we'd write about it on a slow day. But the editor said "it's not our responsibility to fill his roster." Totally different from publishing Little League announcements, where virtually no one is turned away and the cost of playing isn't several mortgage payments. That's a community thing, not your Travel Ball Elite 16-u All-Star Team.

And to say it's just a paragraph...well, yeah. In our precious newshole. Buy an ad.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

You could run it as a breakout box with an investigative feature about how much these sort of youth sports leagues actually cost through a players pre-career and what sort of experience waits for those players who are not in the top tier.

You might need something to break up the text.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He doesn't have to buy an ad. He can just get something addy.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Can he get that in the same place as the transmissiony stuff?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

That's why there's a delete key.

I work at a small weekly group and I get that all the time, from various places.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd rather run a notice like that than an time for a local semi-pro team tryouts that cost players $50 or more.

What's up with that?

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

we have a sports calendar for this stuff. we run it once a week on a community sports page in type slightly bigger than agate.
    Run two sentences: Podunk AAU team will have tryouts on April 1 at 10:30 in the podunk gym. Call BR-549 for information.

on slow agate days, we run the calendar on our agate page.
    If johnny jumpshot's folks want to pay $20,000 for him to sit the bench on a travel team, god's speed.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's the same thing with us, but how much do you go out of your way to make sure whatever is submitted is published?

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

we rarely get anything that is dubious, so if somebody submits a tryout or registration, we run it. We tell them that it will be in our calendar and the calendar runs at least once a week.
    We run college and high school camp notices, and those make money for the programs.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not really out of anyone's way to pester someone with a daily or weekly email. Either run the brief or hit the delete key.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

A guy who used to play at the school where I was an SID was an assistant coach for one of these semi-pro teams. He said they held tryouts -- and charged guys to take part -- simply as a way to raise money. They never found anyone to join the team. It was simply a revenue stream.

Draft saved Draft deleted