1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAU Basketball is indeed the devil

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Apr 18, 2010.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Karl Marx's plan is coming to fruition at last. Communism? That was just an elaborate plot to make sure his grandson got equal time on the caber team.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's all the libburrall neegro mooslim Obama's fault. I want my countree back. ;)

BACK ON THE TOPIC, I have done stories with foreign exchange athletes, and they ALL talk about how different it is playing for your school rather than a club.

Many comment about how in Europe sports club managers don't care how you are doing in school and most all insist you play ONLY ONE SPORT every single day out of the year.

One volleyball player told me her club coach had severe punishments for anybody she saw even holding a basketball -- the club coach sent out a sheet of "club rules" which basically ordered families to get rid of any basketballs they had in the house. "The focus of the athlete must remain undivided" was the reasoning. BTW, this was the 10-14 age group -- junior high level.

Several parents responded they had other kids who wanted to play basketball: "Only allow them to do so when the volleyball player is not home" was the response.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Funny but I didn't mention Obama.

I just mentioned a growing fascination with Europe in this country.

I guess one should never deny the words of a conscience.

4. Starman

The fascination is not with Europe per se, it's with megalomaniac youth-sports coaches and delusional parents who believe the way to sports glory is the 24/7/365 immersion model, and are willing and eager to force children to specialize in one sport from the age of seven in order to cash their ticket to the NBA (or whatever equivalent ultimate goal exists in each sport).

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, and if it's piano lessons, or art class, or whatever, we think it's fine.
    But if you practice and train hard to be an athlete, well, there's something seriously wrong.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I've seen American high school (not club, HIGH SCHOOL) volleyball coaches come pretty darned close. That attitude is killing girls basketball in a few areas of my state.

7. Starman

Yep. A decade or more ago, schools with good volleyball teams almost always had good basketball teams, and vice versa.

Big tall rangy girls who can jump plus a couple small quick kids who can place the ball where the scorers need it = a pretty good formula for success in both sports.

Until the 24/7/365 volleyball dictators moved in. Now, at many schools, none of the tall rangy jumpers or the small quick sparkplugs are allowed to even pick up a basketball (I've heard stories of volleyball players basically begging out of basketball games in gym class). At some places, the basketball people run the show, so it's the other way around. But there are very very few schools who are really good at both.

Draft saved Draft deleted