1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aaron Sorkin creating new HBO show based on reporters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doodah, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

We got you there - there is no future to this industry.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The "trolling a message board" industry, right?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Oh, that industry? Well, it thrives like no other.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I damn near woke my wife up laughing at this. Well done, sir. Or, in keeping with the thread, "Fucking awesome!"

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I want to see the TV extension of this, where two political pundits face off, debate the finer points of a campaign, and end with one tellling his cohort, "Suck a fat one, shit-for-brains," to which the second pundit would reply, "Your mom sucked my fat one, jizz mopper."

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Way to draft off my heat, 'Sote

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Boy, are THOSE not Sorkin's people!

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's just it, isn't it, Ben? Every Sorkin show or movie depicts essentially the same people, just placed in different jobs. That's why West Wing worked and Studio 60 bombed. Earnest, fast-talking attractive young people in the White House worked. But earnest, fast-talking comedians who were never funny didn't.
    Speaking for myself, newspaper work was often infuriating, but it was fun. Fun is not Sorkin's thing.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I like Sorkin, in small doses, which explains why the likes of Chenoweth fell madly in love with him -- for a while. The approach was/is ideal for The Social Network. Sports Night worked, until it got deadingly-repetitive. Even parts of Studio 60 worked, but they ran into the same issue.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Keyboard. Spit-take.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The doses of Sorkin were not small in The West Wing and that was fantastic. Not sure I saw Sports Night as repetitive. It didn't last long enough to be repetitive.

Studio 60 was flawed from the start, though I agree that it had its moments.

12. doodah

doodah Guest

If somebody hates the way Magary wrote it, perhaps they can offer a better way to write it?

Draft saved Draft deleted