1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aaron in a unique place.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 19, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So I'm reading Furman Bisher this morning, and he ends his column about the Vick indictment with a reference to Aaron being on the Atlanta Falcons Board of Directors. I did not know this. So I checked the team web site and sure enough, there Aaron is. Which brings me to this: Mr. Aaron is in an extremely unique position in history, being the chasee in the home run standings, which has become perhaps the biggest sports controversy of our time, and being in a position of oversight of sorts (even if his position there is more of the figurehead nature) over perhaps the second-biggest sports controversy of our time.

How does one man land in such a spot?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Mike Vick's dogfights are "the second-biggest sports controversy of our time?"

You've been hanging out with Bill Walton, I see.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So if Aaron votes to cut Vick (which won't happen, this is hypothetical) on the day Bonds breaks his record, how do you play it on C1?

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Agreed. Methinks there have been others of bigger stature.

Football...how do you play it? Depends on how the rest of the Falcons board votes. But you're right. It's hypothetical.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Boards of directors typically do not take part in day-to-day matters such as this, unless there is a personnel decision to be made about a top level executive. They are for the most part symbolic, except in the cases where they serve as sounding boards of sorts for broad strategic plans.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, so I exaggerated. Sue me. I would point out that I mitigated that by using the word "perhaps" which, FDP, you ignored in criticizing my post.

The point still stands; Aaron is connected to two large controversies -- three, if you count the hoopla surrounding his chase of Ruth.

And no, I don't hang out with Bill Walton.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't see how Aaron's pursuit of Ruth was a controversy. I don't think many people questioned Aaron the way they question Bonds. Maybe they didn't want Ruth's record to fall, especially to a black man, but I don't think it was a controversial act.

Draft saved Draft deleted