1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aaron Hernandez -- Guilty of 1st degree murder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Apr 15, 2015.

1. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Based on the reports coming during the trial, it looked to me like Hernandez had to confront a great deal of circumstantial evidence that painted a picture that he was at the very minimum the ringleader of the gang that killed Lloyd. Under Mass law as I saw reported, it was irrelevant whether he pulled the trigger or not.

In many cases, eyewitnesses lead to a weaker case than circumstantial evidence because they can be made out to be confused after the fact, whereas circumstantial evidence, cell phone records, videotape, DNA, etc. does not lie.

I was a bit worried about the duration of deliberations initially but when I thought it through, I believe the delay was because the jurors took their time to go through all the evidence to given Hernandez every opportunity to defend himself and make sure they got it right. I truly believe that jurors take their service very seriously, especially when they hold someone's life in their hands. In my experience, even when the jury does not decide how I think they should have, they still took their time and really tried to sort through the evidence. Jurors do not get the credit they deserve.

franticscribe likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is where we diverge.

I think the jury system is fucked.

One innocent person after another locked away.

I guess they try.

I guess.

It's not even their fault, really. Trials are a big lawyering contest. The adversarial system isn't about figuring out the truth. It's chess.

3. Dick Whitman

What Ineffective Assistance of Counsel claims will Hernandez make? I assume not testifying will be one.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's Cleveland.

6. Dick Whitman

Fixed.

7. swingline

Isn't the standard defense tactic not to testify, that, generally, getting on the stand is a really bad idea?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Especially if you are guilty.

9. Dick Whitman

Yes, which is why he'll probably lose. But he'll still challenge the decision.

10. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

Don't get me wrong, I know that the jury system favors those with more $$, that sucks for the poor and indigent innocent, they get convicted with poor counsel.

But the alternatives, as shown historically and what we see in other countries, are worse.

11. Dick Whitman

Not necessarily. I've examined cases in which it turned out to be pretty clear that the person was more likely innocent, and they didn't testify. Why? Because, again, it's not a real trial. It's a chess match between lawyers. Typically, even innocent guys who would be brought up on a murder charge aren't going to present particularly well to the jury.

12. swingline

In Law & Order and 48 Hours we trust. I KNEW tee-vee wouldn't steer me wrong.

JackReacher likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted