1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aaron Hernandez -- Guilty of 1st degree murder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Apr 15, 2015.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Update: great, now I got that damn stanza in my mind.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Would the heathers-jack bring back some of the departed old timers?

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I read after he died that if the murder conviction stood, Lloyd's family would automatically have won a civil liability lawsuit against Hernandez (or his estate). With the conviction vacated, they will now have to go through a civil trial to get anything from his estate.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If you think moms aren't going to let their kids play football because they worry about them becoming incapacitated in their 60s, I imagine the fear of their kid becoming a convicted murderer in their 20s could raise the stakes to point where the sport is banned in certain locales.
    Aaron Hernandez's CTE was unusually severe, doctor says - CNN

Three years in the pros, three in college, four in high school. I don't think you can take comfort in your kid not being a college or NFL prospect anymore.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is one person and we don't really know that the CTE caused him to commit murder. It could be something was wrong that caused both the behavior and the particularly bad case of CTE.

I don't think either of us understands the science involved well enough to say. I doubt even the doctors can say with any certainty.

6. DanOregon

I completely agree. People have played 20 years and are fine. Hernandez was diagnosed with one concussion during his NFL career. Omalu's initial CTE finding came out in 2007 when Hernandez was a freshman at Florida.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

As mentioned in the other thread, Hernandez was reportedly a heavy user of marijuana and PCP. How much did drugs fuck up his brain?

Vombatus and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. DanOregon

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I don't know, Dan.

First of all, there's no guarantee the drug use is post-injury. Second, we're still in the infancy of what we know about concussions.

I'm not saying football isn't dangerous. But, I'm not buying the narrative being sold -- yet.

10. DanOregon

To be clear, I'm not saying his CTE (one of the most advanced cases found on someone so young) takes him off the hook for killing people. I'm saying parents can now realize it can impact someone's life before they are 30. Taking drugs shows bad judgement, killing people shows bad judgement, and I imagine some could argue playing a sport known to cause brain injury in the first place shows bad judgement. I sense we are now somewhere in the tobacco territory now. Many people play football and are fine, but others suffer health effects directly related to playing the game.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hernandez was a gang banger in high school. Did CTE accelerate his criminal behavior, making him go from basic thug to multiple murderer? Beats me. Science is a long, long, long way from even establishing a connection.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Funny, I remember being told on here he had no. character issues. Forget who that was.

Draft saved Draft deleted