1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aaron Hernandez case, "most damning evidence yet"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jul 10, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hopefully we can avoid the nonsense that the last thread has become, because this is a fairly large AP Newsbreak.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/search-warrants-in-aaron-hernandez-case-expected-to-be-released-co-defendant-back-in-court/2013/07/09/5fda4670-e860-11e2-818e-aa29e855f3ab_story.html

ATTLEBORO, Mass. — A man linked to the murder case against former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez told police Hernandez admitted firing the fatal shots, and a vehicle wanted in a double killing in Boston a year before had been rented in Hernandez’s name, according to documents filed Tuesday in Florida that provide the most damning evidence yet against the star athlete.

The documents say Hernandez associate Carlos Ortiz told Massachusetts investigators that another man, Ernest Wallace, said Hernandez admitted shooting semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd in an industrial park near Hernandez’s home in North Attleborough. The documents were filed in court by the Miramar, Fla., police department to justify a search of Wallace’s home in that city.

-------

Separately, there is this from the Boston Globe regarding the documents that the defense had been trying to shield.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/07/09/carlos-ortiz-key-figure-odin-lloyd-murder-investigation-and-friend-accused-murderer-aaron-hernandez-remains-behind-bars/2gEjtDp6poM86IjRQXArUJ/story.html

ATTLEBORO — Shayanna Jenkins broke into tears when she was told that Odin L. Lloyd had been murdered, but her boyfriend Aaron Hernandez slammed the door in the face of police, according to court records released this afternoon.

“Mr. Hernandez did not ask officers whose death was being investigated,” police wrote in one of several reports unsealed in Attleboro District Court today. “Mr. Hernandez’s demeanor did not indicate any concern for the death of any person.”

I guess that was the cooperation that Hernandez's people were saying he was initially providing.

Somehow, I'm thinking that "what if he is acquitted?" question on the NFL thread isn't something that is going to take up a whole lot of Roger Goodell's time.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He sounds like a sociopath. Urban Meyer taught him well. :D

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Good luck finding an impartial jury.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You'd frankly be surprised how many people haven't even heard of this story. It seems like the biggest story in the history of the universe to us - like every news story does - but so many Americans are busy playing Candy Crush Saga or hauling their kids around to watch.

Also, a lot of lawyers don't want those kind of jurors, frankly. They'd prefer the kind who would follow the story and follow current events generally. Maybe they've formed an opinion already, but they are likely to be worldly enough to alter it if necessary.

5. Mizzougrad96

He should ask that the case be tried in Gainesville. He'd walk and get an apology from the judge for wasting his time. :D

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Knock, knock.
    Who's there?
    Aaron Hernandez.
    Aaron Hernandez who?
    You're on the jury!

I don't view that guy saying some other guy said Hernandez pulled the trigger as damning. Maybe it's true that it is the best evidence they got. But the guy could be lying to get a good deal for himself. I don't think we'll ever truly know who pulled the trigger. Can these guys be believed? But it's clear Hernandez was there and involved. That's disgusting enough.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Why was he constantly renting multiple cars? I can't figure that out -- did the Pats have some sweetheart deal with a car rental agency?

8. Mizzougrad96

Agreed, but it does say a lot if he actually did it himself rather than have one of his minions do it for him.

Obviously doing either is terrible.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I just want to know what was his reasoning behind shooting Odin L. Lloyd. I mean, what was so serious that he had to kill him?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This was a story development a couple weeks ago. Apparently Lloyd had been kibbitzing in a club the week before with some guys Hernandez had issues with. It is possible he felt, for some reason, it was an unforgivable betrayal. It has also been floated - I think by the police - that he was worried Lloyd was sharing with those guys details about last summer's drive-by that Hernandez allegedly committed.

The latter would make some sense. But without knowing the details of the relationships between these people, it's tough to know why the former hypothesis would drive Hernandez this far. There has to be money involved, in one way, shape, or form, right?

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How is this "damning evidence"? It seems like hearsay. Still no weapon found.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I wondered about this, too. Was it to avoid his personal vehicle being spotted and watched when he was out with friends? Something routine for more sinister activities? And why the hell would anyone think that a rental car with the rental agreement not be traceable?

Makes me wonder if this was something he learned in college or from other players who did (or do) this kind of thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted