1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAFL On the Outs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Feb 29, 2008.

1. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

The website now says that the opener is still scheduled for April 12, and that training camp will just be compressed. No more mention of postponing until 2009.

2. too bad

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I don't think it's quite time for champagne just yet.

Yeah, they're right there. Total cost for the first season: $25 to $30 million. Total amount the AAFL is short: $25 to $30 million.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/12049677074610.xml&coll=2

Here's my favorite part from a story the day before:

The AAFL, sure to be a smashing success.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was told that they were going to be getting word on this season, at some point today (Thursday, March 13).
    The hope is that they will play, but that they don't have any money and that the pre-sale of season tickets has been very, very bad. Only two teams have sold over 1,000 tickets and that the total sold is under 10,000. One team, I think Florida, is leading the straggling pack with about half of the total tickets sold.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The AAFL players need to use those required college degrees and get real jobs, because they aren't getting $50,000 from the league.

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Going going gone

Draft saved Draft deleted