1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAFL On the Outs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Feb 29, 2008.

1. statrat

statrat Member

I just wasted the effort typing "AAFL" into google and clicking on the website. Farewell league that never really existed to begin with.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I remember about 10 years ago there was a similar concept called the Regional Football League. Teams in football hotbeds using players from colleges in that state or region to draw up interest. There were teams in Jackson (Miss.), Mobile, New Orleans, maybe Chicago and a few others. It was an 8 or 10 team league, and basically seemed to group a bunch of existing semi-pro teams into a coherent mass. I know for sure the Jackson team was an old semi-pro team. The most recognizable name in the league was Sherman Williams, the former Alabama RB who had a cup of coffee in the NFL as Emmitt Smith's backup with the Cowboys.

The league lasted one season. The biggest crowds were 7,000 or 8,000 people, and most probably numbered in the hundreds. Management and financial backing counts for a lot, but when I heard about the AAFL I couldn't help but think it was a rehash of the RFL with better publicists.

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

If you look at their "Board of Directors" that's a lot of egos to be on one administrative group. My guess is they met for a day, didn't agree on anything and spent the of the week playing golf and comparing payrolls from their SEC football days.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let us not forget the excitement is growing and a memorable draft it was...

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Thanks. I wasn't aware there was such a thing, either. Monster truck rallies held 'em off, eh?

6. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Who knew this was not going to happen???

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

"Hundreds" may be generous. I was living around Mobile at the time and I remember seeing game highlights on TV. Stadium was damn near empty.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

There was a minor league basketball experiment a couple years ago called the All American Professional Basketball League.

A month after the league was annouced, it folded. A team was to play in our city, and we celebrated that night.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I covered a few games for the Jackson team. The crowds there weren't bad, maybe a couple thousand. Not bad for a league like that. Of course, when you're in a 60,000 seat stadium like most of the teams in that league were, and drawing 7,000, you might as well pipe in chirping crickets over the PA.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Depends what your time in the 40 is...

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How come all these leagues with American or United States in the name fail? ABA, USFL, AAFC, NASL, AFL. Only the American League survives!

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Oh well, that means more time for this.

Draft saved Draft deleted