1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAFL On the Outs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Feb 29, 2008.

1. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Unfortunately nothing public, just a bit churning around the rumor mill. Apparently the AAFL is either close to or seriously considering shutting down shop before it started. Might be something coming after the weekend.

For those of you around or working in AAFL markets, I know they've been getting some decent ink. Had anything new come out about the league recently? I know they did some radio deals but were looking at good TV deals.

2. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

As of earlier this week, I was told the franchise near me had sold around a thousand tickets. It's an incredibly stupid idea and always has been, so it wouldn't surprise me.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It was an idiotic idea from the start.

Thankfully, this might prevent newspapers from getting the "Why ain't you doin' writeups on the AAFL?" phone calls.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I never thought it had a chance.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Erasable ink, or perhaps water-soluble. Have heard of no deals, no franchise nicknames, nothing.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was assigned to do a freelance mag piece on the AAFL.
    Crappity crap, if the league dies, I wonder if I'll still get paid for the work I've done on the story.
    I do know that while the AAFL is running ads, they aren't paying for them. They are swapping tickets and player appearances for the ads. That doesn't seem to be a good sign.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Who were the main financial backers?

I read that players would make about $100,000 a year.

Still, kinda dumb.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Good. At least it will put a stop to the cheesy-ass radio commercials informing me I have to get my tickets now, since with "millions of fans and only a limited number of seats" I somehow couldn't find a way to get inside our local 60,000-seat abortion of a stadium deep in the heart of the hood.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I applied for a job with the AAFL and never got a call back. That's like not getting a call back from the local grocery store.

11. statrat

statrat Member

What is the AAFL?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mr. Statrat, meet Google.

All American Football League.

Draft saved Draft deleted