1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH: the running frustration thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

\

Do you have time to freelance? Or be a citizen journalist? You can get some of the rush back. Newspapers are ok with hiring people as long as it is minimum wage with no benefits.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

The two closest to me are both having problems. One cut all their freelancers, and the other is in a hiring freeze. I'm trying to flesh out other options, but the day job is a priority because of the security and benefits.

3. good luck with that

4. I know I started this thread but after having a conversation with a recent journalism refugee I realized something: You can't totally blame management for asking more from the employees who are still there. They, and the people above them, have some more tough decisions ahead of them as far as who to keep and who to get rid of. If I were in their shoes, I suppose I wouldn't mind if someone gave me a reason to get rid of them instead of someone else. Plus, their asses are on the line as well. They need to prove that they can continue to get their staff to produce. If they can prove that, they're not only saving their job but perhaps they can convince their bosses to cut from another department.

I guess it's just an ugly and difficult situation for everyone.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Oh, come on. The decisions of who to keep or kick out has nothing to do about talent and ability to work. We are beyond that now.
    Management has been trying to save the editors and the buttkissers who climbed the ladder by drinking with the right people, kissing the right butts.
    It has nothing to do about the product anymore.
    The best at too many places have been shown the door.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

And the door is still open for more.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I used to say that, given the passions so many of us in this field bring to our work, the worst thing that can happen to a badly run operation isn't that talented people would lose their fire and leave. The worst thing is that talented people would lose their fire and stay, mere shells and clock-punchers compared to what they were before. A newsroom that loses their sense of calling, their intangibles, loses so very much.

Now that seems quaint, doesn't it? Newspapers are pushing out not only the talented people who have lost their fire because of this corrosive industry, but the talented people who still have the fire but make a little more money than corporate can tolerate. Or who stand up for ideas they think are right in what used to be a collaborative process but now, in doing that, end up providing corporate with another reason to target them as opposed to some head-nodder.

8. I'm not going to argue with you, because I know of many instances where you're exactly right. But to say that's everyone and everywhere is incorrect.

Draft saved Draft deleted