1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH: the running frustration thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm with you on this one. If I'm laid off this year or next year, this will be my new approach. I'll cut my cable back to basic, cut my internet to the cheapest high-speed package, ask my wife to cancel her cell phone, lose a couple options on the phone (call waiting, caller ID), maybe even sell a car, and then find a job at a bar, restaurant, coffee house, Wal-Mart (maybe at the jewerly counter), golf course, whatever.

As long as I can meet the mortgage payment and feed my kid, I'll be happy.

2. KG

KG Active Member

As if I wasn't already in a mood last night, I also found out that I have to un-take off the night I had requested off to celebrate my anniversary. In two years, it's only the second specific night I've asked to have off.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Call out sick.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes call in sick.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Call off sick.

6. Fredrick

Amen, brother. Keep the good attitude. Will wife cooperate tho?

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I have to be careful how much I say, but I found out today that a job I've been negotiating seriously for three months and casually even longer than that is nothing more than a fantasy. It's not going to happen.

For too many reasons to list here, it seemed like the perfect fit for me. That's why I maintained an active interest and pursuit for three months. There was always good news and good information that we were about to close the deal. In the back of my mind all along I wondered if it was too good to be true, and now I know that's indeed the case. Even if the guy makes a formal offer on paper, his enterprise is not going to be credentialed by the team he wants me to cover, so there's way it can work. None.

The all-caps first word of the thread's subject line does not do justice to the raw emotion pouring through me right now. I just wasted the last three months (time and money) for nothing. Damn.

My job search just went to DEFCON 1.

Feel free to scream with me if you'd like.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, JD.

9. Fredrick

That sucks JD; sounds like an internet venture. Keep plugging away. That does suck.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Why not? If you're competent, would be providing regular coverage -- and especially if you would travel -- why would they not credential you?

That's especially hard to believe, especially considering the useless goofballs that were in press boxes I frequented. (One SID would group them all together on the seating chart, giving the area a nickname: "Star Wars bar.")

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The school in question said this morning that his site does not at this time meet its criteria for credentialing (it did at one time, but no longer), and right now I need to leave it at that.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm in a weird situation. I have a fulltime gig that isn't in journalism, but when I lost my regular freelance job in December it hurt.

Obviously, my first thought was the money but now I miss writing terribly. I honestly don't know what to do with myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very greatfull that I have a day job that I'm doing okay with. But man, I miss writing. I miss the rush of adrenaline that comes with close games or rivalries. I miss the coaches and the players. I miss the pressure of a deadline. Hell, I even miss the long drives and solitude where I can clear my head.

Oh well, at least I'm getting a steady paycheck. It's just not as rewarding.

Draft saved Draft deleted