1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH: the running frustration thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

He's got two weeks to be at the sister paper. Fortunately, he's single and can make the move without much problem. The guy needs a job. Better to take that and wait for this shit to turn around than to be unemployed.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Somebody call for a pirate?

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Sadly, I'm not even counting what I lost in retirement accounts. But despite losses, I still have to pay on dividends.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

Honest to goodness, I am just trying to remain positive as hell and do my job. May sound trite, but I get more accomplished that way rather than sitting around and worrying about all of this---and I've done plenty of that in recent months, as we all have been doing.
    We've had layoffs and major changes that has influenced the morale of the paper where I work, but--again--I've done my best to remain upbeat and write my stories, cover my beat, etc.
    My moods will swing when I hear other bad news in the business or the state of economy, but then I find myself bouncing back a few days later and moving on. I feel like I am fairly safe in this position (hopefully).

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Here's what's happened in 2009 in our department:

1. One layoff to a guy with three kids
    2. Axed a major beat
    3. Axed the scoreboard page designer
    4. Demotions to our SE and ASE without much of a reason given
    5. Was to get a part time writer. But after ad ran and a couple inquries came in, the position was pulled.
    6. Did I mention furloughs?

That's just in the sports department. The rest of the newsroom has furloughs too but no other changes.

I've drank more this year than I did in 2008.

6. KG

KG Active Member

The people under me will be cut by at least a third by summer, and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm sure after I've had to help the transition of this demise, they'll cut my position too.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're not even looking for another job in any way?

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm not.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This furlough thing has spread like wildfire (cliche) since Gannett started it. What's the deal? Do no papers have any creative ideas of their own? Why borrow the idea from that shitrag organization? If I was a publisher I'd copy nothing from Gannutt.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Advice taken.

11. KG

KG Active Member

Ugh. I found out last night that the cuts will actually happen much sooner than I thought. On top of that, they cut some more people this week that we really need. I'm glad I'm not in one position above mine, because they have to pick up the slack with 12-13 hour days to make up for the new cuts. I honestly don't understand some of the decisions they have made lately.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Greed.

Draft saved Draft deleted