1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH: the running frustration thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Write-brained, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Last week a series of upper management gaffs that showed obvious disrespect toward me and a whole bunch of other folks should have caused me to leave, just as I did in a similar situation 12 years ago.

But, where to go?

I've already done the "go back to school" thing.

Babs' advice is good. Time to de-emphasize the career. There's so much more to live if we just open our eyes.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As soon as the Plain-Dealer calls, I'm pouring gasoline on the bridges.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Here's my frustration of the day: I'm a Peace Corps vounteer and made less thana $4k last year. My investments lost about $40k.

Somehow, I OWE taxes. Not much, but it's the principle of the thing.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm guessing your investments were in retirement accounts?

5. Actually, that's time better spent looking for a new career ... something marketable even in times of recession.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

I'm with you, Mikey.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Me, too.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

I'm with ya. I realized back in November, though.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Same here.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I am remaining steadfast that I will still stick up for what I feel is right. I can do it no other way. I'm not going to kiss up or suck up or stop telling people what I think when they ask. Now if they don't ask I probably won't go out of my way to tell a higher up he/she is full of shit. But if asked my opinion on something or asked to do something I consider unreasonable I will continue to tell the person to ask to go fuck himself in a nice way. I am lucky that my spouse has a good job, but that is not why I have this attitude. I was raised under the edict to never ever sacrifice your self respect and obey some edict that I feel is wrong from someone I feel is clueless.
    Please don't back down, people. They can fire you anyway. Just do what you think is right.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just found out a good guy in the biz was told that he had to leave his present gig and go to a sister paper about 100 miles away and move into another department if he wanted to work. He doesn't want to go but what can he do? He's got to eat.
    It's very tough out here.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

How bout a few more details Drip? Is this a big newspaper or ?
    I just don't think I could accept those conditions. Hope he says no.

And how much time does management give this person to move, etc?
    Probably no time. I bet they just fucking tell him to report to work on a certain date. They probably just want him to quit.
    Fucktards.

Draft saved Draft deleted